Jay Wile, CSHF Inductee, on Matthew Fontaine Maury!

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2013
      I thought this was also interesting regarding Jay Wile:

      (1)

      http://blog.drwile.com/?p=4647

      (excerpts)

      The other interesting question I got was theological, and
      it was probably inspired by what I posted previously
      ( http://blog.drwile.com/?p=4602 ) about Ken Ham. In my
      talk on the science that you find in the Bible, I discussed
      Matthew Maury ( http://www.icr.org/article/20022/ ), a
      naval officer who read Psalm 8:6-8:

      > You make him to rule over the works of Your
      > hands; You have put all things under his feet,
      > All sheep and oxen, And also the beasts of the
      > field, The birds of the heavens and the fish
      > of the sea, Whatever passes through the paths
      > of the seas.

      Since Maury believed (as I do) that every word in the Bible
      is important, he decided that this verse meant there are
      actual paths in the seas. Because of this, he discovered
      many of the prevailing currents in the oceans, and that revolutionized world travel at the time.

      A person in the audience asked me how I can be so detailed
      in my interpretation of Psalm 8:8 but not in Genesis 1. If
      I believe "path" means "path" in Psalm 8:8, why can't I
      categorically state that "day" means "24-hour day" in
      Genesis 1?

      I first made it clear that I do believe that the days in
      Genesis 1 were 24-hour days. However, I recognize (as
      theologians have since the earliest times in Christendom)
      that the case is far from ironclad. As a result, while I
      believe that they are 24-hour days, I am not about to claim
      that anyone who disagrees with me on that point has a poor
      view of Scripture.

      To answer his question, however, I made it clear that
      "path" doesn't really mean "path" in Psalm 8:8. It means
      "prevailing current." However, it is clear what the word
      is meant to imply, since we have a lot of context for such
      an idea. We are all familiar (at least through the benefit
      of books) with the oceans and the fact that fish are found
      in them. We understand that they swim to get from point
      "A" to point "B," and we understand that paths connect point
      "A" to point "B." Thus, through context, it is very clear
      that the paths mentioned in Psalm 8:8 have something to do
      with getting from one point to the other in the sea.

      (2)

      http://www.icr.org/article/20022/

      (excerpts)

      Paths Of The Seas
      by Duane Gish, Ph.D.

      One day, while reading Psalm 8, he was struck by an important
      truth in the 8th verse. There he read that God had given man
      dominion over "the fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea,
      and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas."

      He immediately saw the great practical significance of that
      verse, recognizing that there must be currents of water in
      the oceans, just like vast rivers, as well as in the atmosphere (Ecclesiastes 1:6).

      With confidence in the accuracy of the Bible, Maury determined
      to discover the paths in the seas and the wind circuits,
      utilizing the charts and log books he had at his disposal.

      A genius?

      No.

      Just a simple Bible-believing Christian who trusted the
      inerrancy of the Word of God.

      -----------------------------------
      -----------------------------------

      My further comments:

      More job security for my Maury Ministry!

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 14, 2013
        http://www.drwile.com/contact.html

        Your message has been sent to Dr. Wile.
        Typically, he responds to contacts within
        one or two business days.

        From: Robert Baty
        Date: Thursday, February 14, 2013
        Time: About 6:15 PM MT

        I got a message about your induction into the Creation
        Science Hall of Fame, and in browsing around I ran across
        your following presentation:

        http://blog.drwile.com/?p=4647

        I think your representation of Matthew Maury therein is
        not quite accurate and your reference to an article by
        Duane Gish is similarly not quite accurate.

        I have long criticized those who have thought to canonize
        Maury because of their romantic notions about Psalm 8:8
        and what, if anything, it might have had to do with some
        of his life's work.

        I happen to think that Maury pursued his development of
        charts and such based on his empirical observations and
        those of seamen and scientists for centuries (i.e., there
        were paths in the seas). Maury's lament was that there
        weren't popularly available charts and many of the paths
        had not been charted yet.

        As to Psalm 8:8, I think it can be argued that Maury was
        glad to find that God was on his side of the question.

        In any case, the popular stories about him hearing Psalm
        8:8 or reading it and using that to decide to go find those
        paths is an injustice to the history of Maury and man's
        historical knowledge of the sea.

        Since I started my Maury ministry I have noticed that the
        more egregious myths may have been mitigated to some degree,
        but yet the effort to canonize Maury continues.

        I just recently concluded some contentious efforts with Nick
        Lally of the Creation Science Hall of Fame over Maury. I
        did some good, but Nick insists on his canonization of Maury
        for the young-earth creation-science cause.

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 15, 2013
          Jay has responded to my inquiry and we have exchanged a number of emails.

          I don't know if it's over or not.

          Time will tell.

          Perhaps I'll have a report on all of that later.