Forbes: "Is the IRS persecuting Kent Hovind?"

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2013
      Here's the link to the story and readers' comments:

      http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly/2013/02/08/is-irs-persecuting-kent-hovind-for-creationism/

      There's now over 40 comments following the article which I recommend as well as the article.

      I thought I would post two of the most current comments here for special consideration:

      (1)

      From: D. Buck
      Date: Thursday, February 14, 2013
      Time: About 12:30 PM MT

      D. Buck 1 hour ago

      Kent Hovind's problems began many years ago,
      when he decided that as a Citizen of Heaven
      he was not subject to the Law of the Land.

      Where the deceit come in–and I'm sure he was
      the first and last to be victim of this deceit–is
      his claim that he is obeying the law, insomuch as
      it applies to him, to the best of his ability.

      Clearly the IRS has miserably failed to explain
      to him–beyond a gruff and threatening ipse dixit–his
      responsibility to pay Caesar his due, but I informed
      him many years ago, when his worse violation to date
      was refusing to get a building permit for Dinosaur
      Adventureland, that he was just plain wrong about
      not needing to follow zoning laws, and that I could
      prove it to his satisfaction were he interested in
      hearing it.

      He wasn't interested in listening then, nor do I see
      any evidence that a few years behind bars have made
      him interested now.

      He is just as self-deceived as ever, and I don't have
      any reason to believe that 5 more years in a succession
      of federal prisons will change that one iota.

      (2)

      From: RLBaty
      Date: Thursday, February 14, 2013
      Time: About 1:25 PM MT

      D. Buck,

      Thanks for that insight.

      I am not convinced, however, that Kent is deceived.

      I would like to hear some direct testimony from Jo
      Hovind, independent of any Hovind handlers, in order
      to evaluate the extent to which she was deceived, a
      deceiver, or possibly just pressured into playing
      along with Kent's schemes for familial reasons.
      (Does anyone know if Oprah is working on getting
      that interview with Jo?)

      It may well be that Kent is the deceiver, and he's
      learned his trade well.

      Part of my reason for proposing that option is his
      recent treatment of Peter and me in our personal
      correspondence. Kent refused to engage in an open,
      honest discussion of certain simple matters dealing
      with his problems.

      Kent, I am convinced, has been repeatedly told of
      the law that stipulates income tax return filing
      requirements and liabilities.

      Kent is not looking for that information.

      Rather, in my opinion, when he and his kind ask
      for the references they are not looking for information.
      They are looking for an argument and tax administrators
      have long since wearied in arguing with folks like Kent.
      Rulings from the Tax Court, and warnings, reflect such
      circumstances. Kent's own Tax Court case already reflects
      what the Court has noted as numerous, frivolous claims
      regarding the argument Kent is wanting to engage if
      someone will only provide a platform.

      Perhaps Kent's response to the current motion, if he
      makes one, will provide another opportunity for Kent
      to put on his show despite how frivolous it may be.

      I'm looking forward to Kent's reply to the Court, if
      he chooses to make a reply, though it might move a
      long a little quicker if Kent simply decides not to
      respond.

    • Ray Ausban
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2013
        It sounds like Hovind forgot what Jesus said on the subject: "Render unto Caesar, the things which are Caesar's..."

        It stuns me how these Bible professing believers don't live by the book they tout.

        The IRS can be one ruthless organization. Though my experiences with the IRS have been pretty good, I'm not trying to skip out on paying taxes. I think Hovind has shown what can happen when you become a "legend in your own mind".
        He thinks he is being 'persecuted', but every one thinks that when the IRS is after them. If he had followed the Bible's advise, then he wouldn't be in such hot water.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 14, 2013
          Ray Ausban wrote, in part:

          > (Kent Hovind) thinks he is being 'persecuted',
          > but every one thinks that when the IRS is after
          > them.

          Preachers in particular seem adept at using the "persecution" card.

          Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker come readily to mind!

          A little research would reveal a host of other preachers who used the "persecution" card when their kingdoms started falling down around them for reasons unrelated to "persecution".

        • bucksburg
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 2013
            By the way, I looked back through my records, and my most recent communication with Kent Hovind was around the end of February 2002; eleven years ago.

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 2013
              "bucksburg" <bucksburg@...> wrote:

              > By the way, I looked back through
              > my records, and my most recent
              > communication with Kent Hovind
              > was around the end of February
              > 2002; eleven years ago.

              My recent correspondence has now been scanned into cyberspace and if you go to the home page you can access the entire exchange I had with Kent Hovind via the "new photos" link at the tome of the page.

              Kent's March 6, 2013 deadline with the U.S. Tax Court is just 6 days away, but it may be a few days after that before we find out what is going to happen next; unless someone closer to the action clues us in.

              Meanwhile, Eric Hovind is going to be on Michael W. Jones show this Sunday evening; along with other opposition guests. It could be interesting.