Massachusetts To Consider Repeal of Ministerial Housing!

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2013
      http://sbcplodder.blogspot.com/2013/02/proposal-made-to-eliminate-clergy.html

      By William Thornton
      Monday, February 11, 2013

      Proposal made to eliminate the clergy housing allowance

      ...but, breathe easy brethren/sistren.

      It is only a proposal and only for state taxes in Massachusetts.

      Mass. Governor's Income Tax Proposal Would End Parsonage Exemption
      http://religionclause.blogspot.com/2013/02/mass-governors-income-tax-proposal.html

      Most states do not make ministers add the HA back into their income for state income taxes. Perhaps there are some that do not but I am unaware of any.

      While this is strictly a matter for folks in Massachusetts, it is about ending tax code provisions that allow some groups to exclude income and others to have special tax breaks.

      Not that I can plumb the depths of the legislative mind when it comes to raising some additional revenue, but I don't see any similar action being viable at the federal level.

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12, 2013
        http://www.masstaxpayers.org/sites/masstaxpayers.org/files/MTF%20Analysis%20of%20Governor%27s%20Tax%20Proposal_FY14.pdf

        Governor's Revenue Proposal
        (excerpts)

        Miscellaneous Credits, Deductions, and Exemptions

        Exemption of Rental Value of Parsonages

        Value at 6.25%: $2.5 million
        Value at 5.25%: $2 million