Open Letter to Nick Lally!

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2013

      To: Nick Lally, Chairman, Creation Science Hall of Fame
      From: Robert Baty
      Date: Monday, February 4, 2013

      Subject: Creation Science Hall of Fame - Maury Update!

      Nick,

      I noticed today that you were quickly able to modify the Kent Hovind webpage on the Creation Science Hall of Fame website and add those comments I attribute to Jerry Bergman.

      And yet, despite my repeated efforts with you over the last couple of months, the following remains up on your website:

      Date: Monday, February 4, 2013
      Time: 1:40 PM MT

      http://creationsciencehalloffame.org/deceased/matthew-fontaine-maury/

      > Matthew Fontaine Maury
      >
      > On his tombstone at the U.S. Naval Academy...

      My position remains unchanged.

      I don't think Maury's tombstone is at the U.S. Naval Academy.

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2013
        If you visit the CSHF Maury page now, you might notice that Nick has been tinkering with the text there in hopes of more accurately reflecting the facts of the matter in light of my renewed complaint.

        For instance, the quote from Morris has now been altered to read:

        > On a plaque at Goshen Pass...

        Compare to what it was previously,

        > On his tombstone at the U.S. Naval Academy...

        Now of course, for those in the know, Nick has tampered with the text of the statement which remains attributed to Henry M. Morris. Morris' book falsely claimed the tombstone was at the Academy, and now Nick now falsely represents Morris as claiming the plaque is in Goshen Pass.

        The plaque at the bottom of the CSHF Maury page is the one in Goshen Pass, but the embedded message associated with the picture of the plaque states, as of right now:

        > Matthew Fontaine Maury,
        > memorial plaque at the US Naval Academy...

        I am not a computer person. I don't how that message got embedded, but it shows up when I copy the plaque and try to paste it where pictures are not pasteable.

        It looks like Nick is determined to canonize Maury. It's his Hall and he can do as he likes. I don't think Maury fits the criteria, but Nick has a different view about the historical Maury than I do and that is a more difficult problem to cure.

        Nick's tinkering with the page has now created another problem in that the page now reads, in part:

        > Several atheists have recently laid with us
        > what they believe to be evidence that Matthew
        > Fontaine Maury does not deserve a place in
        > the CSHF. They claim that Maury:
        >
        > 4. Had no inscription on his tombstone
        > at the Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond
        > referring to Psalm 8.

        That claim happens to be true as evidenced by my recent reference to Maury's tombstone which has the following inscription:

        > In Memory
        > of
        > Matthew Fontaine Maury
        > Born in
        > Spotsylvania C. Virginia
        > January 14, 1806
        > Died In
        > Lexington, Virginia
        > February 1, 1873
        >
        > "All is Well"
        >
        > MAURY

        I personally think that if Nick insists on canonizing Maury he should scrap the whole page and start over.

        --------------------------------------
        --------------------------------------
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2013
          --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com,
          "rlbaty50" wrote, in part:

          > If you visit the CSHF Maury page now,
          > you might notice that Nick has been
          > tinkering with the text there in hopes
          > of more accurately reflecting the facts
          > of the matter in light of my renewed complaint.

          He's continued to tinker with it and so it has been again changed since last reported:

          http://creationsciencehalloffame.org/deceased/matthew-fontaine-maury/