Re: Of Aaron Swartz and Kent Hovind!

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 17, 2013
      "bucksburg" wrote:

      > Another link to Aaron Swartz: John_Atchison,
      > the US Attorney who put Kent Hovind behind
      > bars, himself committed suicide while under
      > investigation for violating federal laws.
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Atchison
      >
      > HT to Kent Hovind via Robert Baty

      I don't know the details about all of that. It appears to be a sad state of affairs and circumstances that cast shadows on all that John Atchison might have done as U.S. Attorney.

      However, being a little more informed about the particulars of one case he apparently was involved in prosecuting, I can state that putting Kent Hovind behind bars was "a good thing".

      Others may disagree......well, others do disagree.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 19, 2013
        The Journal Editorial Report is just beginning and one of the advertised segments is a discussion of whether Swartz was a "murder" victim of a Government prosecution gone awry.

        Might be interesting.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 19, 2013
          "rlbaty50" wrote:

          > The Journal Editorial Report is just beginning
          > and one of the advertised segments is a discussion
          > of whether Swartz was a "murder" victim of a
          > Government prosecution gone awry.
          >
          > Might be interesting.

          What Swartz turned down in order to keep on trying to be a champion for a cause:

          The report is that he turned down:

          > Pleading guilty to 13 charges.
          > A 6 month prison term.

          And folks want to blame the Government for his death???

          Give me a break.

          Swartz did the crimes, and couldn't handle the consequences and wouldn't reasonably settle his case; in favor of his desire to live out a Robin Hood fantasy.

          That's my thinking on that.

          I'm also not paying all that close attention to the story that's been playing out. Is it really all that conclusive that it was suicide instead of an accident? For what little I have caught, I haven't caught any discussion of that.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 19, 2013
            Really?

            Is this the substance of why folks believe Aaron Swartz committed suicide and if he did why he did it?

            http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/legal-woes-drove-swartz-suicide-girlfriend-article-1.1242463

            (excerpts)

            > `Vindictive' legal prosecution drove Reddit
            > co-founder Aaron Swartz to suicide: girlfriend
            >
            >> The 26-year-old Reddit co-founder hanged
            >> himself in his Brooklyn bedroom because
            >> of his upcoming federal hacking trial for
            >> breaching MIT's computers,
            >
            > SAYS HIS GIRLFRIEND,
            > Taren Stinebrickner-Kauffman.
            >
            > SWARTZ DID NOT LEAVE A SUICIDE NOTE.
            >
            > His girlfriend, Taren Stinebrickner-Kauffman,
            > found Swartz's body...

            I'm not buying into it based on that, and that's the best I have run across in what little I have run across. It's not real high on my stories to research.

            For more on all sides of that matter, go to the above link and consider the readers' comments.