Re: My Atheism 101 Exercise Introduced to Debate.Org!

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2013
      I happened to pick up the following from one of my opponent's earlier debates on the Debate.Org website:

      http://www.debate.org/debates/Atheism-and-Theism-use-the-same-logical-reasoning-merely-in-reverse-process./1/

      (excerpts)

      From: Stephen Hawkins

      (A)ll my arguments posed (with the exception of
      the first, which is now valid through that typo
      fix) is valid.

      I take great personal offence at questioning of
      validity.

      For reference, validity means that, if the premises
      are true, the conclusion necessarily follows.

      Each argument was either a modus ponens, or a lemma,
      which works through predicate reasoning (i.e. if
      the sun set yesterday, then there was a yesterday
      and the sun existed yesterday by lemma/predicate).

      In fact, I'd be happy to completely overhaul the
      debate that we are doing in order to debate the
      validity of the arguments posed.

      (M)y opponent seems to have given up justifying
      any of his premises. If he does not do so, he
      cannot fulfil his burden of justification, and
      must rationally abandon his argument: otherwise,
      it's just making stuff up and hoping they're true.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2013
        Here's another one:

        http://www.debate.org/debates/Atheism-is-Irrational/1/

        From: Stephen Hawkins

        (excerpts)

        Invalid means: a syllogism which does not follow.

        An argument with a fallacy, informal or formal,
        is invalid.

        Invalid arguments are not rational.

        Valid means: the premises logically entail and
        necessitate the conclusion.

        Atheism: the lack of belief in a deity; without
        belief; not holding belief.

        The website

        http://www.investigatingatheism.info/definition.html

        is to be seen as a very good, in depth authority
        for the definition, as it cites repeatedly
        philosophers in their definitions.