The reason why Joe Banister went down?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2004
      More importantly, one has to wonder when it is that PAM is going to "go
      down"!

      The Court announced in recent days that Joe Banister, one of the
      darlings of the PAMites, is banned from practicing before the Internal
      Revenue Service.

      It had something to do with him being vexatious and frivolous in his
      efforts to argue cases, and the fact that he hasn't been filing tax
      returns himself in recent years.

      I don't have the Court ruling or news article before me on this
      computer; maybe later.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 14, 2004
        Following my name below is an excerpt from a recent news article
        concerning action against Joe Banister.

        San Francisco Chronicle
        (excerpt)

        Tuesday, January 13, 2004

        Joseph Banister was a gun-toting Internal Revenue Service special
        agent who investigated tax cheats for six years. Now, the San Jose
        certified public accountant is in hot water for telling clients that
        they don't have to pay taxes.

        An administrative law judge has ordered Banister not to represent
        clients appealing their tax bills before the IRS, where he was a
        criminal investigator from 1993 until he resigned in 1999 because he
        felt that he was breaking the law by investigating alleged scofflaw
        taxpayers.

        Banister admits that he has failed to pay his taxes since then. He
        operates a Web site that proclaims "The Income Tax is a Hoax" and
        features a picture of him holding a gun next to the
        headline, "Feeling Outgunned?"

        Banister has advised clients they don't have to file income-tax
        returns on the grounds that the 16th Amendment, which gives the
        federal government the power to collect income taxes, was not
        properly ratified and that only foreign- sourced income is taxable.

        The IRS disagrees. "This frivolous argument -- and others -- have
        consistently been rejected by the federal courts," IRS spokesman
        Jesse Weller in Oakland said Monday.

        "Baloney is still baloney, no matter how you slice it," Weller said.
        In a ruling Dec. 24, administrative law Judge William Moran agreed
        and ordered Banister not to represent tax clients before the IRS.

        "The very significant problem with Banister's advice to his clients
        is that it is absolutely wrong," Moran wrote. "Banister was not
        presenting some new theory in support of the dream entertained by
        some United States citizens that somehow they don't have to pay
        federal income taxes."

        The judge's ruling stems from an administrative complaint filed by
        the IRS's office of professional responsibility.

        As to whether Banister could face criminal prosecution, Weller
        said, "The door is neither open nor closed. I cannot confirm or deny
        the fact that he is under any kind of investigation."
      • legal_author
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 17, 2004
          I found this when going through the archives to make sure I'm up on
          list conversation.

          PAM will be going down soon. Very, very soon.

          A couple of weeks ago he filed a "Verified Criminal Complaint"
          against 8 of the 9 sitting US Supreme Court Justices, making
          accusations ranging from RICO violations to fraud against the United
          States. He then foolishly followed up with a widely-distributed
          message, essentially stating that his intent in doing so was to
          disqualify all but one judge from hearing the appeal of his cases.

          Of course, PAM considers the mere mail delivery of these documents
          to be a great victory. He seems blissfully unaware that anyone
          could send anything to the Supreme Court, and they'd sign for it.
          They have a mail room, and that's what they do.

          Duh.

          On another front .... PAM has for some time been threatening
          numerous people with fraudulent "defaults" in his case against AOL
          and 2500 other defendants (in that case not only had no judgment of
          default ever been entered, but the case was dismissed up to and
          including the US Supreme Court). He has been noting that he copied
          these and many other documents to federal appellate judge Alex
          Kozinski, who he refers to as his "supervising judge". However,
          Judge Kozinksi NEVER agreed to supervise PAM, and in fact there is
          no relationship between them. According to PAM, Judge
          Kozinski "supervises" him by "tacit consent" - in other words, in
          PAM's mind, since the Judge has never said that he wouldn't
          supervise PAM, he must therefore be supervising him.

          Huh?

          In an appellate document filed with the Ninth Circuit, where Judge
          Kozinksi sits, PAM demanded that Judge Kozinksi be appointed to hear
          his case both on the District and Appellate court levels. His
          explanation for this is that Judge Kozinski was already very
          familiar with his case.

          Bad idea. By making that statement, he raised a red flag regarding
          his unauthorized usage of Judge Kozinski's name.

          I'll keep this list notified as I turn up PAM info.

          Best,
          Tamara