Re: Atheism 101 Critical Thinking Exercise!

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2013
      "Todd Greene" wrote, in part:

      > "beyond the reach of their evidence" is the
      > problematic part of that statement, of course.
      >
      > Note that previously (weeks ago) I mentioned
      > the conceptual usage of the god-of-the-gaps
      > argument in these kinds of statements - and
      > we see, again, that I was quite correct about
      > that.

      It's not a "problematic" part of the statement, and Todd, effectively, implicitly, admits the propriety of my use of such language.

      Todd also, quite conspicuously, does as many before him in taking "cheap shots" instead of working through the exercise step by reasonable step.

      I commend those interested to a review of our previous discussions as referenced by Todd, and archived here, regarding his closing shot and whether or not his claim is an accurate statement of what the Atheism 101 Critical Thinking Exercise is all about.

      Here's a suggestion (i.e., homework assignment) for those who think they can do better (i.e., a tailoring effort for those who don't think my argument suits them, atheism, or atheists):

      Given the following conclusion and minor premise, give the major premise that completes the modus ponens form Atheism 101 argument:

      > Conclusion:
      >
      >> The origin of the idea/concept
      >> of God is attributable to the
      >> imaginative powers of man.

      > Minor Premise:
      >
      >> Man's power of imagination was
      >> sufficient to originate the
      >> idea/concept of God.

      > Major Premise:
      >
      > (To be Added by the Student)

      Once your homework assignment is submitted, we will then be prepared, I think, to return to the six steps of the exercise.