Re: Creation Science Hall of Fame - Maury Update!

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 5, 2013
      Remembering how Nick Lally and I got into the "tombstone" issue which Nick appears to now be misrepresenting:

      (8) Note the date!

      To: Nick Lally (creationfacts@...)
      From: Robert Baty (rlbaty@...)
      CC: joestephen@...
      CC: seeevidence@...
      CC: temalakos@...
      CC: diatheke2@...
      CC: fwepboyd@...
      Date: Sunday, December 16, 2012 19:20:38 -0500

      Subject: Maybe a less emotional issue? - Maury!

      Nick,

      You and yours need to calm down a bit and maybe showing
      your stuff on a less emotional issue would help in trying
      to demonstrate your good faith; matters of fact stuff
      instead of opinions about the propriety of inducting a
      decades long tax cheater into the Hall.

      So, let me try this on you:

      Your Maury promotion has this claim:

      http://creationsciencehalloffame.org/deceased/matthew-fontaine-maury/

      > On his tombstone at the U.S. Naval Academy
      > is inscribed the eighth Psalm, especially verse
      > 8: "… whatsoever passeth through the paths
      > of the seas."

      Is that true?

      If there is something at the Naval Academy with such
      an inscription; can it be a tombstone if Maury was not,
      is not buried there?

      Have you got anything other than "some preacher said so"
      to verify the claim?

      If you did any real research, you would have found that
      one of my earlier concerns was the insistence that there
      was a statue of Maury at the Academy depicting Maury with
      a Bible in one out-stretched hand.

      I never found that statue!

      So it was that that "tombstone at the Academy" caught
      my attention.

      (9) Note the date!

      To: Nick Lally (creationfacts@...)
      From: Robert Baty (rlbaty@...)
      CC: diatheke2@...
      CC: fwepboyd@...
      CC: joestephen@...
      CC: seeevidence@...
      CC: temlakos@...
      Date: Monday, December 17, 2012 13:28:11 -0500

      Subject: RE: Info on Mathew Fontaine Maury, from Nick

      (excerpts)

      Nick,

      On the simple stuff, however, Nick, I notice that
      you do seem to explicitly admit that you cannot
      confirm the claim made on your website about that
      Tombstone at the Naval Academy.

      I didn't think you would, and the world is watching
      to see how you deal with this simple, factual matter
      and your efforts to canonize Maury and his myth.

      (10) Note the date!

      To: Terry A. Hurlbut (temlakos@...)
      From: Robert Baty (rlbaty@...)
      CC: creationfacts@...
      CC: diatheke2@...
      CC: fwepboyd@...
      CC: joestephen@...
      CC: seeevidence@...
      Date: Monday, December 17, 2012 13:51:17 -0500

      (excerpts)

      Terry,

      I questioned the claim about the tombstone claimed
      to exist at the Naval Academy.

      (11) Note the date!

      From: Nick Lally (Creationfacts@...)
      To: Robert Baty (rlbaty@...)
      CC: diatheke2@...
      CC: fwepboyd@...
      CC: joestephen@...
      CC: seeevidence@...
      CC: temlakos@...
      Date: Monday, December 17, 2012 14:31:50 -0500

      Subject: Re: Info on Matthew Fontaine Maury, from Nick

      (excerpts)

      Robert,

      (W)e haven't secured the "first hand proof" about
      a statue and Psalm 8, but as you already know, we
      have taken our information from the late
      Dr. Henry Morris.

      (F)or now, we will rely on Henry Morris' assessment
      and keep Maury posted as is.....and please do keep
      an eye on us.

      We welcome it as we have nothing to hide.

      Robert, I wonder what you are hiding?
      Nothing escapes our God.
      He knows our hearts....including yours.

      Nick

      January 5, 2013 - My Further Comments:

      I think there is some hiding going on with regard to these matters and it's on Nick's side of the monitor!

      As "they say" so often in such cases, it's not the blunder about the CSHF promotion of the Academy tombstone that isn't there, but the apparent cover up!

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 5, 2013
        Does it get much simpler than this?

        Date: Saturday, January 5, 2013
        Time: 10:15 PM MT

        Link:

        http://creationsciencehalloffame.org/deceased/matthew-fontaine-maury/

        Claim:

        > Matthew Fontaine Maury
        >
        > On his tombstone at the U.S. Naval Academy...
        >
        >> Excerpted from Men of Science, Men of God
        >> by Henry M. Morris.
        >> Copyright 1982, 1988 by Henry M. Morris.
        >> Used by permission.

        I think I have a pretty good reason for believing that that tombstone is not there and have made the owners/operators of that website aware of my concerns; more than 2 weeks ago. See archives here for extensive correspondence about that and related matters.

        The claim remains and I have been provided with no evidence that there is such a tombstone at the U.S. Naval Academy.

        Make of it what you will!
        I will!

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 6, 2013
          After all this time...

          Date: Sunday, January 6, 2013
          Time: 12:30 PM MT

          Link:

          http://creationsciencehalloffame.org/deceased/matthew-fontaine-maury/

          Claim:

          "...his tombstone at the U.S. Naval Academy..."

          Source:

          "Men of Science, Men of God"
          by Henry M. Morris
          Copyright 1982, 1988

          My position:

          Maury's tombstone is NOT at the U.S. Naval Academy!

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 7, 2013
            After all this time...

            Date: Monday, January 7, 2013
            Time: 2:00 PM MT

            Link:

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 8, 2013
              After all this time...

              Date: Tuesday, January 8, 2013
              Time: 11:30 AM MT

              Link:

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 11, 2013
                Nick Lally contacted me last night (January 10, 2013) for just some cordial conversation about how things are going.

                In part, I advised him of the following, updated as of right now:

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 17, 2013
                  I have been in contact with the Creation Science Hall of Fame Board of Directors regarding the public offer this morning from Forbes contributor Peter J. Reilly that supporters of the "tax protest" position contact him so that he might give consideration to publishing one or more columns on that important, public issue.

                  In that context, I noted earlier that the CSHF had revised its defense of Kent Hovind by posting Kent's own defense; conspicuously omitting any references to his and his wife's personal income tax cases pending before the U.S. Tax Court.

                  Considering that recent update on their website, I checked to see what, if anything, they have done about the "tombstone" claim and found the following:

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 18, 2013
                    Another 36 hours goes by:

                    Date: Friday, January 18, 2013
                    Time: 11:00 PM MT

                    Link:

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 22, 2013
                      The days got by and still...

                      Date: Tuesday, January 22, 2013
                      Time: 2:25 PM MT

                      Link:

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 30, 2013
                        Date: Wednesday, January 30, 2013
                        Time: 3:55 PM MT

                        http://creationsciencehalloffame.org/deceased/matthew-fontaine-maury/

                        > Matthew Fontaine Maury
                        >
                        > On his tombstone at the U.S. Naval Academy...

                        Yep, after all this time Nick Lally, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Creation Science Hall of Fame, allows that simple, factual claim to remain up on his Hall of Fame website.

                        My position remains unchanged.

                        I don't think Maury's tombstone is at the U.S. Naval Academy.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 2, 2013
                          Date: Saturday, February 2, 2013
                          Time: 7:45 PM MT

                          http://creationsciencehalloffame.org/deceased/matthew-fontaine-maury/

                          > Matthew Fontaine Maury
                          >
                          > On his tombstone at the U.S. Naval Academy...

                          After all this time, that allegedly false claim remains!