Re: Nick Lally/CSHF v. "Goliath of GRAS"!

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013
      Here's my last response to Nick and his board of directors:

      (3)

      > To: Nick Lally (creationfacts@...)
      > From: Robert Baty (rlbaty@...)
      > CC: diatheke2@...
      > CC: fwepboyd@...
      > CC: joseph@...
      > CC: seeevidence@...
      > CC: temlakos@...
      > Date: Saturday, January 5, 2012 09:43:21 -0500
      >
      > Subject: Nick Lally, et al, v. "Goliath of GRAS"
      >
      > Nick,
      >
      > It seems rather inappropriate to decline my invitation
      > and then go to preachin' and taking some cheap shots
      > while you retreat.
      >
      > Your invitation, and the invitation to any who may
      > wish to represent "your side", will remain outstanding
      > at:

      > I'll post your reply in that subject thread on my YAHOO!
      > list and maybe make some comments in response.
      >
      > You and/or yours can join that discussion, or not!
      >
      > Thanks for the consideration, and I'll continue to look
      > for the updates to your CSHF website; particularly as
      > they may relate to the Maury issue.
      >
      > And don't forget to follow the progress of my IRC 107
      > petition at:
      >
      > http://wh.gov/QQOh
      >
      > Overnight it hit the 550 mark!
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Robert Baty

      "rlbaty50" wrote:

      Nick has declined the offer to discuss these fundamental issues. Rather than
      simply decline, however, he has some things to say that go to the continuing,
      popular, public discussion regarding young-earth creation-science and what we
      have considered before.

      So, I am going to post some of what he had to say and, if I get time, make some
      his to join the discussion here).

      Just how important is the fuss over the age of stuff, Nick????

      (1)

      > From: Nick Lally (Creationfacts@...)
      > To: Robert Baty (rlbaty@...)
      > Date: Friday, January 4, 2013 11:32:46 -0500
      >
      > (excerpts)
      >
      > Robert,
      >
      > I was hoping you were an atheist and not a Hugh
      > "Rosser". Wow! You took me by surprised...
      >
      > Now where do I begin to convert you into a 6 day
      > Creationists? You are making this very hard for
      > me, but allow me to ask you this:
      >
      > If you believe in God you must...
      > If you believe..., then why not a 6 day creation?
      > How do you...
      > That makes you a PC Christian...(pick and choose).
      >
      > I'm afraid you are not able to sit on the fence
      > any longer.
      >
      > Either become an atheist or become a full believing
      > Christian.
      >
      > It's time to join our side, Robert.
      > You can't have it both ways.

      (2)

      > From: Nick Lally (Creationfacts@...)
      > To: Robert Baty (rlbaty@...)
      > CC: diatheke2@...
      > CC: fwepboyd@...
      > CC: joseph@...
      > CC: temlakos@...
      > Date: Saturday, January 5, 2013 09:34:20 -0500
      >
      > (excerpts)
      >
      > Robert,
      >
      > Thank you for your invitation to debate the Bible.....
      > Genesis, six day creation.
      >
      > Perhaps some other day when time allows, we could debate
      > the Genesis issue.
      >
      > For some reason I really don't understand how anyone
      > could debate something that is written with such clarity.
      >
      > A third grader could read Genesis and tell you that it
      > means a six day creation. But we adults want to insert
      > our own thoughts into the Bible and thus make it say
      > anything we want it to mean.
      >
      > Perhaps it's an overdose of pride....thinking we know
      > better then God?
      >
      > To be frank with you, I have more respect for atheists
      > then theists because at least I know where "they are
      > coming from." Being a "fence sitter" does little for
      > your salvation.
      >
      > Either you're with God or against Him.
      >
      > As a child, my father use to say to me (in his crude way),
      >
      >> "Either you believe in the entire Bible or
      >> throw the whole dam thing away".
      >
      > Years later, I found him to be right after all.
      >
      > So, Robert, are you going to tear out certain pages
      > in Genesis or are you going to believe in God's Word?
      >
      > I promise you that some day, you will become a Creationist.
      >
      > Nick Lally,
      > Chairman, Board of Directors,
      > Creation Science Hall of Fame

      "rlbaty50" wrote:

      Nick Lally, Chairman of the Board of the Creation Science Hall of Fame, has
      indicated an interest this morning in my young-earth creation-science position.

      Nick,

      This is your invitation, which I explained in my private response to you, to
      engage my "Goliath of GRAS" exercise in critical thinking with emphasis on
      young-earth creation-science and why its promoters have failed in their
      scientific pretensions and legal challenges.

      Following is Step #1, the argument and basic stipulations for your
      consideration:

      Step #1:

      > Is the "Goliath of GRAS" argument so
      > constructed that if its premises are
      > true its conclusion will follow as
      > true therefrom (e.g., is it logically
      > valid)?
      >
      >> Robert Baty - Yes
      >> Nick Lally - ???

      The "Goliath of GRAS" argument:

      MAJOR PREMISE:

      > IF (A); God's word (the text) says
      > everything began over a period
      > of six days, and
      >
      > IF (B); God's word (the text) is
      > interpreted by some to mean it
      > was six 24-hour days occurring
      > a few thousand years ago, and
      >
      > IF (C); there is empirical
      > evidence that some thing is
      > actually much older than a
      > few thousand years,
      >
      > THEN (D); the interpretation of
      > the text by some is wrong.

      MINOR PREMISE:

      > (A); God's word (the text) says
      > everything began over a period
      > of six days, and
      >
      > (B); God's word (the text) is
      > interpreted by some to mean it
      > was six 24-hour days occurring
      > a few thousand years ago, and
      >
      > (C); there is empirical evidence
      > that some thing is actually much
      > older than a few thousand years.

      CONCLUSION:

      > (D); The interpretation of the
      > text by some is wrong.

      Basic Stipulations:

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013

        From: Nick Lally (Creationfacts@...)
        To: Robert Baty (rlbaty@...)
        Date: Saturday, January 5, 2013 16:00:57 -0500

        Subject: Re: Nick Lally, et al, v. "Goliath of GRAS"

        Robert,

        I guess my email can be taken that way, but that's
        not the idea I was trying to convey to you.

        First, I never retreat from 'always being willing and
        ready to give an answer for my belief in God'.

        And secondly, "cheap shots" is not my style....even
        though one could easily take my answer in that way.

        I was attempting to tell you that God wants us to
        come to him like a child....believing with all our
        hearts and mind.

        A child reading Genesis can easily see that God has
        written about a six day creation and not evolution.

        Anything more read into His Word is only man's
        interpretations.

        If you feel that's still a cheap shot then there is
        nothing I can say or do about it.

        Please do keep in touch, and when time allows, I
        will look into your petition for Dr. Hovind.

        Have you seen Dr. Hovind's Induction page on the
        Creation Science Hall of Fame yet?

        And while you are there, check out our answer to
        the atheists and you who have questioned Matthew
        Fontaine Maury.

        Nick Lally,
        Chairman, Board of Directors,
        Creation Science Hall of Fame

        (5)

        To: Nick Lally (creationfacts@...)
        From: Robert Baty (rlbaty@...)
        Date: Saturday, January 5, 2013 17:00:41 -500

        Nick,

        See, you continue to do it!

        Yes, you "retreated" from the proposal to take up
        the discussion of the fundamental "nothing is more
        than a few thousand years old" issue in the context
        of my "Goliath of GRAS" argument, openly, honestly,
        and "on the record" as presented by my YAHOO! list
        venue and/or your CSHF venue.

        In response you went to turning loose rabbits which
        need not be chased at this time.

        I did see your Hovind induction page, but, last I
        checked, the Maury page had not been updated.

        I'll got check after I send this message.

        As to Maury, I note here that there were numerous
        questions raised about your promotion for him that
        you did not answer.

        See our earlier correspondence about that.

        Alas, as I noted, you got my opinion, with references,
        on those matters and you can do as you wish regarding
        your promotions for Hovind and Maury. The public can
        consider such matters and form their own opinions about
        such things.

        I will try to stay in touch if something comes to my
        attention that I think warrants further contact with you.

        The "Goliath of GRAS" invitation, remains outstanding: