Re: [M & B] Re: Two connected evidences

  • Ray Ausban
    Message 1 of 126 , Dec 2, 2012
      Rick,

      And you understand how this works. You put up the correct references. They take it and correct the editions of their next book printing and the next and next. Fifteen years from now it looks like they never screwed up.

      There will be no acknowledgment of the mistake and no admission as to how they got the corrected references. I think your effort deserves better than that.

      Contact the most reputable (one that you think will be around the longest and sell the most books) of the YEC and offer to give the corrected reference as long as they attach a side comment as to the history of how it came about and who it came from with the standard life of the author plus 70 years. (Get it in writing). Then the truth will be at least attached with one of the YEC author or organization that can always be referenced (especially if part of the agreement is they file their book with the Library of Congress). When the other YEC authors start lifting the reference for their own books, you can't do anything about that but it will be on public record and not disappear if Robert's discussion group is not in existence 10, 20 or 30 years from now.

      Ray

      Message 126 of 126 , Sep 7, 2013
        Hey, Todd, I was hoping you would drop by! Now that I have
        a decent internet connection I see you've been busy elsewhere.
        (I hope you like my dog.)

        You noted:

        > Well, to be honest, he's fighting a lost battle.
        > Lost over two hundred years ago. ;-)

        Well, yeah, but in that context I wasn't speaking strictly of
        geology... I was thinking more along the lines of Acts 5:39.

        Are you familiar with the book I linked in that last message?

        Title: History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom
        Author: Andrew Dickson White
        Date: 1896
        http://www.gutenberg.org/files/505/505-h/505-h.htm

        There's some pretty good stuff in it, including a chapter on
        astronomy. As I understand it, White's method of "conflict
        thesis" is rather outdated in terms of historiography -- but
        then again, so is creationism itself. It's pretty amazing to
        see all these same excuses from the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries
        still parading around the internet as modern creation science.

        Here's something from Chapter 7, about archaeology:

        | In the last years of the sixteenth century Michael Mercati
        | tried to prove that the "thunder-stones" were weapons or
        | implements of early races of men; but from some cause his
        | book was not published until the following century, when
        | other thinkers had begun to take up the same idea, and
        | then it had to contend with a theory far more accordant
        | with theologic modes of reasoning in science. This was
        | the theory of the learned Tollius, who in 1649 told the
        | world that these chipped or smoothed stones were
        | "generated in the sky by a fulgurous exhalation conglobed
        | in a cloud by the circumposed humour."
        |
        | But about the beginning of the eighteenth century a fact
        | of great importance was quietly established. In the year
        | 1715 a large pointed weapon of black flint was found in
        | contact with the bones of an elephant, in a gravel bed near
        | Gray's Inn Lane, in London. The world in general paid no
        | heed to this: if the attention of theologians was called
        | to it, they dismissed it summarily with a reference to the
        | Deluge of Noah; but the specimen was labelled, the
        | circumstances regarding it were recorded, and both specimen
        | and record carefully preserved.

        Uh oh. I can see where *this* is going...

        "Conglobed in a cloud by the circumposed humour" is pretty
        humorous in itself!

        And this book was published in 1896 -- the year radioactivity
        was discovered.

        Uh oh.