Re: Debate over Grand Canyon's age: 6m to 65m years!

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2012
      http://gizmodo.com/5964724/theres-a-major-grand-canyon-controversy-going-on-right-now

      There's a Major Grand Canyon Controversy Going On Right Now

      By Brian Barrett
      November 29, 2012

      (excerpts)

      So is the Grand Canyon really a 70 million-year-old dinosaur playground?

      Or is it the nubile young gorge we've always thought it to be?

      Scientists have strong opinions.

      The new theory, put forth this week in Science by researchers from the University of Colorado Boulder and California Institute of Technology argues that 70 million years ago, back when Tyrannosaurses roamed the American West, a river flowing in the opposite direction of the Colorado carved the Grand Canyon into America's fleshy middle.

      But not so fast, shout rival Grand Canyonologists.

      As the AP reports, there's a good chance the new study could be poppycock:

      > Critics contend the study ignores a mountain
      > of evidence pointing to a geologically young
      > landscape and they have doubts about the
      > technique used to date it.
      >
      > The notion that the Grand Canyon existed during
      > the dinosaur era is "ludicrous," said geologist
      > Karl Karlstrom of the University of New Mexico
      > in Albuquerque.

      It's the biggest Grand Canyon controversy since Clark Griswold wouldn't sit a spell, but—as there usually is if you look hard enough—there might be a middle ground.

      The groundwork for the Grand Canyon may have started tens of millions of years ago, while the mighty Colorado River took over six million years ago and finished the job.

      Then again, maybe it's more fun to pick a side.

      Me?

      I'm voting with the dinosaurs.
      Because dinosaurs. [NPR]

      http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=166173261