Discussion Invitation for Jon Gary Williams: Transitional Fossils

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 12, 2003
      Hi, everyone.

      I have found that Jon Gary Williams is a pulpit minister (not a
      paleontologist; surprise, surprise!) at the LaVergne Church of Christ
      in LaVergne, Tennessee.

      http://www.lavergnecoc.org/leaders/leaders.html

      I have sent the email copied below to him. (Of course, I have also
      copied it here to the Maury_and_Baty group.)

      To: "Jon Gary Williams" <jongaryw@...>
      From: "Todd Greene" <greeneto@...>
      Subject: Discussion Invitation: Transitional Fossils

      Dear Jon Gary Williams:

      I recently read your article at the Hatton Church Of Christ website,
      http://www.hattoncoc.org/bulletin48.html , entitled "Evolution - A
      Science Fiction Fantasy." In that article you claim that "evolution
      does not fit the evidence. The only place to go to find concrete,
      empirical evidence for evolution would be the fossil record. However,
      there is not a single case of a transitional form!"

      This statement is completely wrong. I challenge you to discuss the
      following propositions in my "creationism" discussion group, either
      informally or formally:

      Proposition: There is not a single transitional fossil in the fossil
      record.

      Affirm: Jon Gary Williams

      Deny: Todd Greene

      Proposition: There are many transitional fossils in the fossil record.

      Affirm: Todd Greene

      Deny: Jon Gary Williams

      Please note that I will post a copy of this email in my discussion
      group.

      Regards,
      Todd Greene

      http://www.creationism.cc/
    • sanantonioriverman
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 25, 2009
        Todd,

        Did Jon Gary Williams ever accept your challenge?

        Charles Weston

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 25, 2009
          Charles,

          I don't recall Jon ever taking Todd up on his invitation. I could be wrong, but there would probably be something in the archives here had he done so.

          Perhaps Todd will provide a more conclusive answer, but he may be currently engaged in holiday matters and not notice your inquiry until later.

          Meanwhile, I am still waiting for a response from Jon regarding my personal invitation that he take up a discussion of my "Goliath of GRAS".

          To: Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com
          From: sanantonioriverman@...
          Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 14:11:41 +0000
          Subject: Re: Discussion Invitation for Jon Gary Williams: Transitional Fossils

          Todd,

          Did Jon Gary Williams ever accept your challenge?

          Charles Weston

          --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "Todd S. Greene" <greeneto@...> wrote:

          > Hi, everyone.
          >
          > I have found that Jon Gary Williams is a pulpit minister (not a
          > paleontologist; surprise, surprise!) at the LaVergne Church of Christ
          > in LaVergne, Tennessee.
          >
          > http://www.lavergnecoc.org/leaders/leaders.html
          >
          > I have sent the email copied below to him. (Of course, I have also
          > copied it here to the Maury_and_Baty group.)

          > To: "Jon Gary Williams" <jongaryw@...>
          > From: "Todd Greene" <greeneto@...>
          > Subject: Discussion Invitation: Transitional Fossils
          >
          > Dear Jon Gary Williams:
          >
          > I recently read your article at the Hatton Church Of Christ website,
          > http://www.hattoncoc.org/bulletin48.html , entitled "Evolution - A
          > Science Fiction Fantasy." In that article you claim that "evolution
          > does not fit the evidence. The only place to go to find concrete,
          > empirical evidence for evolution would be the fossil record. However,
          > there is not a single case of a transitional form!"
          >
          > This statement is completely wrong. I challenge you to discuss the
          > following propositions in my "creationism" discussion group, either
          > informally or formally:
          >
          > Proposition: There is not a single transitional fossil in the fossil
          > record.
          >
          > Affirm: Jon Gary Williams
          >
          > Deny: Todd Greene
          >
          > Proposition: There are many transitional fossils in the fossil record.
          >
          > Affirm: Todd Greene
          >
          > Deny: Jon Gary Williams
          >
          > Please note that I will post a copy of this email in my discussion
          > group.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Todd Greene

          > http://www.creationism.cc/

        • Charles Weston
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 25, 2009
            Robert,
            Well, I think I mentioned, JGW was whining on the coc group that nobody would debate him.  I was looking fora stick to goad him into accepting your challenge.
            Charlie

            To: Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com
            From: sanantonioriverman@...
            Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 14:11:41 +0000

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 25, 2009
              Charles,

              Well, JGW has now been asked publicly and privately.

              Perhaps it is just the holiday, perhaps not.

              Perhaps JGW is just not going to be coming around for a discussion

              We'll give him a little more time to respond.

              I notice the church-of-christ list has been receiving new postings the last couple of days. Anything in there about the invitation?

              Well, I think I mentioned, JGW was whining on the coc group that nobody would debate him.

              I was looking for a stick to goad him into accepting your challenge.

              Charlie

            • Todd Greene
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 31, 2009
                Robert, no, I hadn't noticed this from Charles.

                Charles, I did some digging around and found that I sent that on Dec. 12, 2003 (i.e., over 6 years ago). No, I never received any reply of any kind from Williams.

                - Todd Greene