"Laugh test" lawyer, et al, under attack!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2003
      I noticed Milton Baxley, the "laugh test" lawyer we have discussed
      here in recent days, is mentioned as a target of the suit discussed
      in the article following my name below. Kinda interesting to how
      they attempt to let God take the credit for their antics.

      Robert Baty

      The New York Times
      (an excerpt)

      December 9, 2003

      HEADLINE: Court Is Asked to Block False Complaints Against I.R.S.

      Nearly 2,000 bogus misconduct complaints against Internal Revenue
      Service agents were filed as part of a long-running fraud by a group
      that calls itself a Christian ministry to obstruct the federal income
      tax laws, the Justice Department said in papers filed yesterday in a
      court in Florida.

      The Justice Department said the false complaints were made to
      intimidate tax agents. The complaints cited the 1998 I.R.S. Reform
      and Restructuring Act, which requires the firing of tax agency
      workers who commit improper acts known as the "10 deadly sins." Some
      false complaints also asserted that I.R.S. agents had committed

      The filing of a complaint, which under the law initiated an
      investigation of the agent, cost each client $25 to $1,400, plus an
      annual fee of at least $150, according to papers filed in Federal
      District Court in Ocala, Fla.

      Named as leaders of the plan were Milton Hargraves Baxley II, a
      lawyer in Gainesville, Fla.; Eddie Kahn, a lecturer in Sorrento,
      Fla.; Mr. Kahn's wife, Kathleen; and Bryan Malatesta, a certified
      public accountant in Cleburne, Tex.

      Mr. Kahn, who tells clients that no law requires the payment of
      taxes, runs American Rights Litigators, which he transformed in
      August into Guiding Light of God Ministries. The Justice Department
      said the ministry was a business, indistinguishable except in name
      from American Rights Litigators.

      The same group was involved in an effort by Wesley Snipes, the actor,
      to get back all the taxes he paid from 1997 through 2000 by saying he
      had no taxable income. For 1997, Mr. Snipes sought a refund of $7.3
      million on more than $19 million of income. There was no indication
      that Mr. Snipes ever filed a misconduct complaint against the I.R.S.

      While Mr. Snipes's attempt to have his taxes refunded failed,
      thousands of other people received refunds.

      The Justice Department lawsuit seeks an injunction barring the
      leaders and an associate, David Lokietz, from promoting tax evasion
      and obstructing enforcement of the tax laws. It said that the
      government would suffer irreparable harm if an injunction was not
      granted and that the defendants would suffer no harm by being
      required to obey the law.

      Since the 1998 law was passed, I.R.S. auditors, supervisors and
      lawyers have repeatedly complained about false complaints.

      The lawsuit is the first instance of the government's saying an
      organized plan exists to fabricate complaints for profit.