Reformation Rumblings, December 4, 2003!??

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2003
      REFORMATION RUMBLINGS
      Buff Scott, Jr.
      ________________________
      Questions For Today

      Q. "Buff, I think you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
      You might have a point to make in objecting to titles such as 'pulpit
      minister' or 'pulpit pastor,' but you follow that by casting
      aspersions on such social graces as 'a nice suit and tie'
      and 'greeting everyone with a wide smile.' If that were not bad
      enough, what do you have against 'sparkling teeth'? I do not think
      it strengthens your argument against the single-pastor situation by
      disparaging good dental hygiene, especially if we have to endure
      someone's halitosis."---Kyle.

      A. The pulpiteer (clergyman) is taught and factory-trained to greet
      and stand before his pupils eloquently. That was my whole point. He is
      indoctrinated to "live above" the "laity" or common class, for, after
      all, his "level of service" is expected to exceed theirs.

      Jesus taught that if anyone wishes to be high on the totem pole, he
      must first become a servant (Matt. 20:26). However, the new pulpiteer
      graduate, fresh from the production line of a clergy factory, is
      already high on the totem pole and expects others to serve him by
      warming a pew while listening to his "sermons," come to him when
      problems arise, rely on him to bury their loved ones, and report to
      him about programs and projects.

      To put it another way, everything revolves around him. He's the star
      of the show, the performer. And others must pay to see his
      performances. I call this the "collection plate ticket." This ticket
      gets you inside where the music is soothing and the stage is adjusted
      and "readied up" for the main event. He comes on stage and all eyes
      are peeled on him. For about 30 minutes, he fills your "spiritual
      tank" with the "lead-free gospel," just enough to get you through the
      week and back to another performance.

      My comments:

      It seems to me that Buff, the alleged reformer, has recently
      demonstrated, concerning his Peter Frenzen comment, that he, Buff, is
      quite like those "pulpiteers" he condemns. He's determined to "live
      above" the rest of us at his higher "level of service" allegedly
      design to reform us out of our "institutionalism".

      He's been repeatedly asked to perform his "servant" duty of
      admitting, explaining and correcting his false and fallacious Peter
      Frenzen comments, yet he refuses to do so (at least no one has yet
      informed me of his "repentance").

      You would think that Buff figures that "everything revolves around
      him" and the world might stop spinning if he were to simply admit,
      explain and correct his obviously erroneous remarks concerning Peter
      Frenzen and Loowit Canyon on Mt. St. Helens.

      Ahhhh, why should I belabor the point? You get the idea.