IRS Appeals Story!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2003
      Orlando Sentinel (Florida)

      November 26, 2003

      VOLUSIA AVOIDS $100,000 FINE; THE IRS AGREED TO REIMBURSE THE COUNTY
      AFTER IT WAS PENALIZED FOR LATE PAYROLL TAXES.

      BYLINE: Kevin P. Connolly, Sentinel Staff Writer

      DELAND -- Volusia County caught a break from the IRS after all.

      The Internal Revenue Service levied a $100,000-plus fine this summer
      against Volusia County for being about three weeks late with about $1
      million worth of payroll taxes a year ago.

      The county paid the fine in July but vowed an appeal in hopes of
      getting the money back.

      On Tuesday the county announced that the appeal had worked. The IRS
      has reversed its hard-line stance and is returning the $103,118 fine.

      "Oh, that's good news. That's good news," Volusia County Council
      member Jack Hayman said Tuesday. "We are very fortunate, in my view.
      The IRS is so forgiving."

      County officials said from the start the fine didn't make sense
      because the mistake was an accident. The county told the IRS about it
      and immediately paid the taxes. The county hadn't had any other
      payment problems in the past.

      "This was truly a first-time mistake," said Dave Byron, a county
      spokesman. But the IRS incorrectly thought Volusia had missed
      payments in the past -- a factor that might explain the amount of the
      fine and the IRS's initial reluctance to cut the county a break.

      The county's external auditor, James Moore & Co., discovered that IRS
      files incorrectly showed it had already waived $750,000 worth of
      fines against Volusia for missing other payments for payroll taxes.
      An IRS spokeswoman didn't immediately return a message.

      "I have completed my review of your request to adjust the penalty
      assessed against you," Greg Shaw, an IRS appeals-team manager, wrote
      in a Nov. 21 letter to Volusia County. "Based on the information
      available, I am pleased to advise you that the penalty will be abated
      in full."