Atheism 101 - For Atheists (e.g., Vic Stenger, et al)!

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2012
      As a result of my recent ministry on the Democratic Underground website (DU), I was able to develop a simple critical thinking exercise to help atheists "come out" regarding what they explicitly and/or implicitly believe or don't believe.

      It appears to have been quite effective with the DU atheists, so I am presenting it here for those who may wish to work through the exercise, step by reasonable step.

      In this exercise, there are 6 simple, reasonable steps.

      It begins with a consideration of my atheist argument and is followed by the 6 steps:

      DU Link: http://www.democraticunderground.com/123011403#post24

      MAJOR PREMISE:

      > IF (A) man was able to originate the
      > idea/concept of God through the power
      > of imagination, as opposed to reason
      > and/or revelation,
      >
      > THEN (B) man did originate the
      > idea/concept of God through the power
      > of imagination.

      MINOR PREMISE:

      > (A) Man was able to originate the
      > idea/concept of God through the power
      > of imagination, as opposed to reason
      > and/or revelation.

      CONCLUSION:

      > (B) Man did originate the idea/concept
      > of God through the power of imagination.

      Step #1:

      Do you believe the argument is so constructed that
      if its premises are true its conclusion will follow
      as true therefrom (i.e., that it is logically valid)?

      I do.

      Step #2:

      Do you believe that atheism implies the truth of the
      conclusion and that atheists implicitly and/or
      explicitly believe the conclusion to be true?

      I do.

      Step #3:

      Do you believe that atheism implies the truth of the
      minor premise and that atheists implicitly and/or
      explicitly believe the minor premise to be true?

      I do.

      Step #4:

      Do you believe that you can take the minor premise
      and conclusion of a logically valid modus ponens
      argument and construct the major premise therefrom?

      I do.

      Step #5:

      Do you believe that the major premise of the above
      argument is properly inferred and properly constructed
      from the minor premise and conclusion of the argument?

      I do.

      Step #6:

      Do you believe that atheism implies that the major
      premise is true and that atheists implicitly and/or
      explicitly believe the major premise to be true?

      I do.

      I think I have made my case for my positions regarding
      these important, simple, fundamental, public issues and
      I am more than willing to further test my understanding
      of atheism as is popularly promoted.

      Thanks for your cooperation.

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2012
        I'll restart the number of messages from the DU as they relate to this separate subject thread here:

        http://www.democraticunderground.com/123011403

        (1)

        From: FiveGoodMen
        Date: Thursday, November 8, 2012
        Time: 12:21 PM
        Subject: You try this game of "I know you are but
        what am I?" face to face sometime...

        You might just get yourself slapped upside the head.

        If you think your childish nonsense is convincing anyone,
        you're nuts.

        It's now quite easy to see why Stenger won't talk to you.

        Like I said, he's a smart guy.

        And you're not.

        (2)

        From: Robert Baty
        Date: Thursday, November 8, 2012
        Time: 12:46 PM
        Subject: Like I said before...

        ...it is quite easy to see why Stenger is on the run.

        However, we differ as to why that is the case.

        (3)

        From: Robert Baty
        Date: Thursday, November 8, 2012
        Time: 12:48 PM
        Subject: Atheism 101 - Special Class for DU Students!

        Should any DU students wish to "come out" and attempt
        to successfully complete the critical thinking exercise
        presented for you in message #24 here, I have prepared
        the classroom for you at my place:

        See you there, or not.