About Old Earth Ministries!

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2012
      http://www.oldearth.org/about_aic.htm

      About Old Earth Ministries?

      Old Earth Ministries (formerly Answers In Creation) is a privately operated website, dedicated to sharing the Gospel, and to supporting Christians who believe in an old earth.

      It was founded in January 2003 by Greg Neyman.

      The site is quickly becoming known as a resource to the old-earth believer. Although OEM is mainly a Progressive Creationist website, all old-earth viewpoints are represented. Therefore, you may see differing views of old-earth belief represented. OEM is operated by one volunteer, with the help of other volunteers who submit articles and answer emails.

      Why does Old Earth Ministries exist?

      Many Christians claim that the earth was created 6,000 years ago. Their belief has given birth to a movement within the church known as "creation science."

      However, when we look at the scientific record, the earth gives solid evidence that it is billions of years old, and the universe gives solid evidence that it is over 13 billion years old.

      Therefore, the false teaching of young earth creationism must be confronted.

      Old Earth Ministries believes that you can believe whatever you want about the creation, so long as the key doctrines of the Bible are not affected.

      Why then, you may ask, does Old Earth Ministries criticize the young earth position?

      If it doesn't matter, why make a fuss?

      Young earth creationist, and Institute for Creation Research President, John Morris, tells the story about an atheist he met.

      The atheist told Morris that he grew up in a very religious Christian home and church, and as a teen he fully accepted the Bible, and planned on being a minister. All it took was one course in evolution in college for him to abandon Christianity. Morris says his testimony is far from unique. "A surprising number of this country's leading atheists, humanists, and evolutionists are from evangelical Christian homes." Morris claims they were never taught how to defend their faith.

      In reality, what they were taught is that either you accept a young earth as the only valid position, or you don't (and thus, you don't believe the Bible).

      When they learned from science that the earth was old, they had no choice but to abandon the Bible...after all, they were taught that both could not be right.

      However, you can believe in the Bible and an old earth.

      Therefore, the young earth system of belief is the failure...not their teaching on how to defend the faith as Morris claims.

      There are hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of people out there who have abandoned the church because of young earth creationism.

      It does not have to be this way.

      Our message is that you can believe in the Bible, and believe that the earth is billions of years old, without any conflict.

      This website proudly proclaims this truth.

      Who else believes this way?

      Billy Graham, the famous evangelist, says that it does not matter what you believe about the creation.

      C. S. Lewis, the author of the Narnia series, believed in evolution and old ages.

      Many other famous Christians of our day also believe this way.

      What you believe about creation is insignificant.

      The Bible does not say "Believe in a young earth and be saved."

      When you get to heaven, God is not going to ask you what you thought about creation. He will ask you what you did about His Son. Jesus is what matters.

      Old Earth Ministries is here to emphatically say,

      > "You can be a Christian,
      > and believe in an old earth."

      Old earth belief varies, but the central issue in each case is Jesus Christ. In fact, you can believe in evolution (theistic evolutionist) and be a fundamentalist at the same time. There is no conflict between conservative Christianity and old earth belief.

      For the non-Christian who is seeking answers, we can help!

      Have you been told by Christians that the earth is young? Is this in direct conflict of your own conclusions based on science? There need be no conflict! Our articles will help you overcome obstacles between Christian belief and secular science. The best place to start is an explanation of old-earth theory (Click Here). After reading this introduction, check out the Articles section for more in-depth discussions.

      For Christians who believe in an old earth, we provide the necessary resources for you to defend your position with those Christians who advocate a 6,000-year-old earth.

      We do this by examining research articles on young-earth creationists websites, and then we point out the errors in those articles. We also provide original articles, a listing of old-earth books, and links to other old-earth websites.

      For Christians who believe in a young earth, feel free to browse the site.

      Please keep in mind this website was created to aid non-Christians and old-earth Christians. The goal of this site is not to "destroy your belief." If you want, read no further and leave the site...thanks for visiting! If, however, you are interested in the topic of creation, feel free to bookmark this site and visit often.

      The layout of this website is very simple. If you have doubts about being able to be a Christian and believe in an old earth, click on this "Can I Be a Christian" link for an article addressing this concern.

      There are two main locations on the website for articles.

      One is the main Articles page, and the other is the young earth ministry rebuttal page.

      Our prayer is that God will guide you on your journey.

      Thanks for visiting!

    • Todd Greene
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2012
        Young earth creationism is a lens through which you see the fallacious nature of religious belief. Of course, it's only one lens, of many.

        - Todd Greene