Re: SBC Voices and the chatter on the FFRF IRC 107 Challenge!

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2012
      About SBC Voices!

      http://sbcvoices.com/about/

      About SBC Voices

      SBC Voices is the a blog about issues that concern Southern Baptists. We also make it easy to track what other SBC blogs are writing about.

      Each writer is responsible for their own opinions. Our editorial policy is very open to debate and disagreement among our own writers.

      This website is unofficial source for news and opinion about the Southern Baptist Convention.

      Click here to browse our post archives from our blog. You can also read some clarifications about this website and Dave's thoughts on comment moderation.

      Contributors

      (1)

      Tony Kummer, is the founder, website administrator, and pain in the neck. He is a graduate of Boyce Bible College and Southern Seminary. He is a father, kids pastor, and part-time trombonist. Now retired from Baptist blogging, he writes about children's ministry and living in Madison, Indiana.

      (2)

      Dave Miller, Editor, serves as senior pastor of Southern Hills Baptist Church in Sioux City, Iowa. He is a graduate of Palm Beach Atlantic College (now University) and SWBTS. He served churches in Florida and Virginia before returning to Iowa, where he grew up, in 1991, and has served two churches there.

      (3)

      Jeff Musgrave, assistant editor at SBC Voices, is a husband, father (2 boys and a girl), pastor, musician and blogger. He blogs at Jeofurry's Jesus Journey (name based on a high school nickname that stuck). His church (FBC Langdon in North Dakota) also posts sermon audios. He also maintains More Than Bread Devotionals with his sister, providing a weekday devotional.

      (4)

      Dan Barnes is the associate pastor at Heartland Community Baptist Church in Sioux City, Iowa. A graduate of Golden Gate Seminary, his ministry focuses on education and discipleship. The great blessing of his life is his Tuesday lunches with Dave Miller. Dan also blogs at jdanbarnes.blogspot.com.

      (5)

      Mike Bergman is pastor at FBC-Adrian, MO, and a graduate of the U. of Oklahoma and the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. In his free time, he enjoys biking, hiking, soccer, storm chasing, and long trips in a canoe. And occasionally between church happenings and playing ball with his dog, he finds time to blog at Unjust Justified (unjustjustified.wordpress.com).

      (6)

      Doug Hibbard has served as the pastor of First Baptist Church, Almyra, Arkansas, since August of 2010. He is married to Ann Hibbard, and is the father of Olivia, Angela, and Steven. Doug graduated from Ouachita Baptist University in the last Century.

      (7)

      Mike Leake is currently as associate pastor at the First Baptist Church of Jasper, Indiana. He also attends The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary where he is pursuing an M.Div in Christian Ministry, Heresy Tackling, and Cage Fighting. He hopes to eventually pursue a doctorate in the hopes that some day someone may ask him to perform a surgery. Through the grace of God, Mike found a beautiful woman, Nikki, to put up with his shenanigans. Together they have two children, Isaiah and Hannah. Mike also blogs regularly at Borrowed Light (http://mikeleake.net).

      (8)

      Jared Moore, general contributor, is pastor of New Salem Baptist Church in Hustonville, KY. He has an M.A.R. in Biblical Studies from Liberty Seminary in Lynchburg, VA, an M.Div. in Christian Ministry from Southern Seminary in Louisville, KY and is currently pursuing a ThM in Systematic Theology at Southern. He blogs at http://jaredmoore.exaltchrist.com.

      (9)

      Jeremy Parks, born and raised in Texas, is an IMB missionary, having served the last 12 years in the Czech Republic, Venezuela and now in Ecuador. He and his wife, married since 1991, are both deaf. They have three children, all hearing. He works to plant churches in Ecuador and blogs at theonlyquestion.wordpress.com.

      (10)

      David Rogers is Senior Editor and Coordinator for Latin America of the Adrian Rogers Pastor Training Institute. Before this, David and his wife, Kelly, were missionaries in Spain for 18 years, the last 14 with the International Mission Board. During this time, they were involved in various aspects of church planting, leadership training, and mobilization. They currently live in Cordova, Tennessee, and have two sons, Jonathan (21), and Stephen (14). David earned his B.A. at Baylor University, his M. Div. at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, and is currently working on a Ph.D. in missions at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. He has been blogging since February 2006 at Love Each Stone.

      (11)

      Anthony Russo spent 20 years providing computer support to corporate America, but now is a seminary student at Southern, studying for pastoral ministry. Having dabbled in amateur improv and stand-up comedy, his make-you-think humor inevitably comes out, but his true passion is to call unbelievers and Christians alike to live wholly for Jesus Christ. He blogs at ThrowAwayEverything.com.

      (12)

      Brandon Smith, general contributor, has a B.A. in Biblical Studies from Dallas Baptist University and is a Systematic Theology student at Criswell College. He also serves as the Admissions Coordinator at Criswell. A multi-role pastor for several years, he is now a church planting resident at CityView Church in Fort Worth, Texas. He blogs at Modern March and you can connect with him on Twitter.

      (13)

      Andrew Wencl works for the Federal Government in Indianapolis, Indiana, but has begun distance learning through Southern Baptist Theological Seminary to prepare him for overseas missions. Fluent in Spanish, he and his wife, Hannah, work with Enfoque, the Hispanic ministry of Fall Creek Baptist Church in Lawrence. Andrew leads a small group and occasionally leads music and preaches.

      ------------------------------
      ------------------------------
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2012
        (Selected additional postings! - RLBaty)

        http://sbcvoices.com/please-pacify-the-plodder/

        (2)

        From: Chris Roberts
        Date: September 4, 2012

        While I do not think a solid legal argument can be raised
        for why this exception should be perpetually continued for
        ministers, I do think it's an exception that can be granted
        on the basis of the will of the people.

        In the past, the people wanted this exception because of
        appreciation for the work and office of the minister.

        I would like that appreciation to continue.

        One of the sad indictments of our nation is that people's
        views of the church, and those who serve her, have plummeted.

        We've brought some of this on ourselves through various
        scandals and abuses, and some of it is due to the overall
        decline of the spiritual condition of the nation.

        Should the courts rule to strike down the exception, it
        would be a sad indictment for the nation, not because the
        nation has done something wrong or unfair to the ministers
        (it wouldn't be wrong or unfair) but because the nation
        has become so pagan, has turned so far from Christianity,
        that she has no desire to help those who have done so much
        for so many on matters of far greater significance than
        education or healthcare or national security, etc.

        As for you being Church of Christ, I don't suppose you
        mean United Church of Christ, one of the most pagan groups
        currently operating in America?

        (3)

        From: Robert Baty
        Date: September 4, 2012

        Chris,

        I am looking forward to the Courts resolving our difference
        regarding the legal merits of the law.

        It can't come too soon to please me.

        As with so many issues, folks can express their appreciation
        in many ways but, arguably, when they try to use the power
        of Government to do so (e.g., via IRC 107) they can run
        afoul of the Constitution.

        Ruling IRC 107 is UNconstitutional will not be such as you
        suggest, but that is a secondary/tertiary issue/consequence
        we might also fuss about; maybe when you make your appearance
        at my place as one here to requite my efforts here.

        No one else has showed up yet.

        No, it isn't United Church of Christ. It is "Church of Christ"
        as might be commonly associated with Pepperdine, Harding,
        Alexander Campbell, etc., etc., etc.!

        From: Peter Reilly
        Date: September 4, 2012

        I am Reverend Thornton's friend at forbes.com.

        I write about this mainly from reading court cases.

        I have had guest posts from a retired IRS agent who is
        outraged about Pepperdine University's basketball ministers,
        Andrew Seidel of FFRF, to whom I gave a bit of a hard time,
        and Rev. Thornton who defenced the allowance as a modest
        benefit.

        It would be nice if a couple of you would put your comments
        on forbes.com instead of preaching to the choir.

        Reverned Thornton and I were both kind of outraged at Phil
        Driscoll who was excluding 200k for his second home.

        (5)

        From: Robert Baty
        Date: September 4, 2012

        (Your comment is awaiting moderation.)

        Peter,

        I was an "auditor" for a few years and then spent a little
        over 20 years as an "appeals officer". I was never an "agent".

        For those who might be interested, you can find an example
        of my IRS work at (starting at the bottom of page 6):

        http://www.ustaxcourt.gov/InOpHistoric/Baumann.TCM.WPD.pdf

        I also encourage the folks here to "get out" a bit and offer
        some comments over at Forbes in response to your column(s);
        as well as my place where I have a light on for them at: