The presidential election and IRC 107 - My Forbes Article!

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2012
      My sponsor at Forbes as published a guest column from me addressing the prospects that the historic developments in the FFRF IRC 107 Challenge should be an election issue that Romney and Obama need to address.

      Here's the link:

      http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly/2012/09/01/where-do-romney-and-obama-stand-on-special-tax-status-for-ministers/

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2012
        "rlbaty50" <rlbaty@...> wrote:

        > My sponsor at Forbes as published a guest
        > column from me addressing the prospects
        > that the historic developments in the FFRF
        > IRC 107 Challenge should be an election
        > issue that Romney and Obama need to address.
        >
        > Here's the link:
        >
        > http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly/2012/09/01/where-do-romney-and-obama-stand-on-special-tax-status-for-ministers/

        So, I guess I have been left to lead the charge and so I have asked both candidates' campaigns about the candidates' position on the matter.

        (1)

        http://barackobama.force.com/questions

        Question for Obama:

        On August 29, 2012 Judge Barbara Crabb of the
        Federal District Court in Wisconsin ruled that
        the Freedom From Religion Foundation had "standing"
        to challenge Internal Revenue Code Section 107
        which allows only "ministers" to receive income
        tax free housing allowances.

        This law has long been considered constitutionally
        suspect but neither Congresses or Presidents would
        do anything about it. Now the FFRF is poised to
        have it ruled UNconstitutional.

        What is President Obama's position on the issue and
        how does it fit in to his tax policy?

        Confirmation:

        Thank you for contacting Obama for America

        Your thoughts are extremely valuable to us. As a
        grassroots organization, your input will always be
        the backbone of this campaign.

        We receive thousands of messages each day, and we
        are dedicated to reviewing every comment, opinion,
        and idea.

        Your message will be reviewed and recorded.

        We do our best to respond to as many messages as we
        can, but we may not be able to respond to your message
        individually. You may be able to find more information
        or the answer to your question now on our FAQ Page.

        You can also bookmark www.barackobama.com in order to
        stay up to date on campaign news, learn how to get
        involved, and read about President Obama's accomplishments.

        Thank you again for your message.

        Obama for America

        (2)

        A similar question was sent to Romney,
        but I did not keep a copy.

        http://www.mittromney.com/forms/other

        I did get the following confirmation:

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 12, 2012
          From: noreply@... (Mitt Romney Campaign)
          To: Robert Baty
          Date/Time: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 @ 8:09 AM MT

          Subject: My Views on the Taxation

          Robert,

          Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts regarding our nation's tax system. I appreciate your interest in my campaign for president and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your views with me.

          Reducing and stabilizing federal spending is essential, but breathing life into the present anemic recovery will also require fixing the nation's tax code to focus on jobs and growth. To repair the nation's tax code, marginal rates must be brought down to stimulate entrepreneurship, job creation, and investment, while still raising the revenue needed to fund a smaller, smarter, simpler government. The principle of fairness must be preserved in federal tax and spending policy.

          The first step in jumpstarting pro-growth tax reform is instituting a permanent, across-the-board 20 percent cut in marginal rates, bringing the top individual rate down from 35 to 28 percent.

          This bold stroke reduces the tax on the next dollar of income earned for all taxpayers, including many small businesses that file as pass-through entities. On the corporate side of the tax ledger, I will cut the top rate from 35 to 25 percent, a level that places American companies on an even playing field with our global competitors and allows fair competition on the international market.

          I hope you'll take the time to read my plan, which is available to download at www.MittRomney.com/issues/tax.

          I am running for president because I believe in America and know that our best days are still ahead.

          I believe that the principles that made America the leader of the world today—freedom, opportunity, and free enterprise to name just a few—are the very principles that will keep America the leader of the world tomorrow. These last few years have not been the best of times.

          But, while we've lost a few years, we have not lost our way.

          Thank you again for contacting me.

          I encourage you to visit my website at www.MittRomney.com for updated information on this and other issues that may be of interest to you.

          I look forward to hearing from you in the future and earning your support.

          Sincerely,

          Mitt Romney