Re: [M & B] Re: More on "Mormon Dialogue" (in re: Van Hale/Robert Baty)!

  • Ray Ausban
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2012
      A friend of mine listens to Van almost every week. I tuned in once and this is what I observed. Van is reasonable and fair in allowing the guest or caller to state their opinion. He also responds to that opinion.

      In the one episode I heard, the caller would not allow Van to reply. The caller would rudely interupt and keep talking when Van started to reply. Three times of this and Van cut him off. As a listener, it was quite annoying for the caller to try and not allow the host to participate in the discussion. He deserved to be cut.

      The format is quite calm and there was no real arguing, it was all discussion. Van has a very mild manner about him. I think you will have no problem talking about any issue but he will not let some one take a verbal jab with out it being addressed, before moving on to another topic.

      I would imagine he will ask you questions about yourself and back ground before moving to the topic. I'm sure he'll ask why you are doing the poll and such things about that.

      I would remember the old saying, "If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail." I think I would have a hot sheet of points and issues to reference, so the nervousness of being on the radio doesn't cause your mind to go blank.

      I think I will listen in, but I won't call in. My friend who listens every week has the same name as me. He frequently calls in. So, if they say Ray is calling, it won't be this Ray!

      Good Luck and I hope you have a good time!

      Author: Steve Benson
      Date: July 5, 2004

      Subject: Smoke and mirrors: Changing Mormon Church
      history to bolster belief in the truth

      Some years ago, in the then-recent wake of my leaving the Mormon Church, I was contacted by Van Hale, a Mormon apologist of some note in Morgville, and asked for a phone interview on his Sunday night radio talk show out of Salt Lake City.

      He said he wanted to chat about my reasons for leaving the Mormon Church. I agreed.

      During the course of our conversation, the subject of the Mormon Church's practice of regularly and deceptively altering its history came up.

      I mentioned, as an example, the case of Willard Richards who, while imprisoned in Carthage jail with Joseph Smith, was experiencing some stomach upset and sought remedial relief.

      The Tanners present the evidence for blatant after-the-fact textual alterations by Mormon Church "historians" of the episode:

      > [An] important change was made in the History
      > of the Church under the date of June 27, 1844 -
      > the day of Joseph Smith's death. In the version
      > that was first published, Joseph Smith recommended
      > that Apostle Willard Richards use a pipe and
      > tobacco to settle his stomach: "Dr. Richards was
      > taken sick, when Joseph said, 'Brother Markham,...
      > go and get the Doctor a pipe and some tobacco to
      > settle his stomach,' and Markham went out for them.
      > When he had got the pipe and tobacco, and was
      > returning to jail,..."
      >
      >> (Millennial Star, vol. 24, p.471).
      >
      > This has been changed to read as follows: "Dr.
      > Richards was taken sick, when Joseph said, 'Brother
      > Markham,... go and get the doctor something he needs
      > to settle his stomach,' and Markham went out for
      > medicine. When he had got the remedies desired, and
      > was returning to jail,..."
      >
      >> (History of the Church, vol. 6, p.614).
      >
      > Notice that the Mormon historians tried to make it
      > appear that Joseph Smith was recommending "medicine"
      > rather than "a pipe and some tobacco." It would
      > appear from the reference as it was first published
      > that Apostle Richards was accustomed to the use of
      > tobacco, for tobacco would certainly not settle the
      > stomach unless a person was accustomed to its use.
      >
      > At any rate, recent Mormon leaders have been very
      > embarrassed about the early leaders' disregard for
      > the Word of Wisdom and they have made several
      > important changes in the History of the Church and
      > other publications to cover up this change in policy.
      >
      >> http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/changech2.htm

      Confronted by this undeniable and deliberate malformation of the historical record by the Mormon Church's Official Lies and Deception Department, Hale shrugged it off by responding that tobacco was, indeed, used as medicine.

      Therefore, he insisted, changing the original word from "tobacco" to "medicine" did not significantly alter the text or meaning of the account, as it stood amended.

      Secondly, he told me that changing the word "tobacco" to "medicine" was an understandable effort to avoid undermining the faith of members who testimonies might not yet be strong enough to handle actual reality.

      Which, of course, brings to mind the famous scene in the movie, "A Few Good Men," where Jack Nicholson screams from the witness box,

      > "Truth? You can't handle the truth!!"

      A fellow Morg apologist who had teamed up that night on the radio show with Hale dismissively commented that this objection was a typical anti-Mormon argument and that I was merely sounding like a typical anti-Mormon.

      So there.

      What strikes you as other egregious examples of falsification of Mormon Church history by the cutters and pasters in its downtown Salt Lake Orwellian Ministry of Truth?

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2012
        Ray,

        Thanks so much for that personal insight regarding how Van operates his program.

        I've been pondering about preparedness.

        I'm a pretty shallow well, actually, but I don't want to come across as too much of a "fool".

        If you get to listen in, and your friend, maybe the two of you can get together and you can post some reviews of my performance late Sunday or Monday.

        So far, it's still a "go"!

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2012
          Almost 70 views of that message I posted "in the lion's den", and yet no Mormon there has dared to respond and help me out a little!

          Kinda funny!

          "rlbaty50" <rlbaty@...> wrote:

          http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/58279-is-there-a-connection-anyone-got-any-a\
          dviceinformation-for-me/

          (1)

          From: RLBaty (aka Robert Baty)
          Date/Time: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 3:37 PM MT

          Shortly after the conclusion of my first appearance
          here (that introductory thread being locked down),
          I got an invitation from Van Hale's producer to be
          a guest on Van's Salt Lake City, UT radio show this
          Sunday evening.

          You think that had anything to do with my appearance
          here?

          Maybe in conjunction with my Christian Post activities
          related thereto?

          Anyone here have anything to do with the invitation?

          I have only noticed a little about Van from the Internet.

          What can y'all tell me about what I might be in for should
          the program be produced this Sunday as has been scheduled?

          How many of y'all are going to tune in?
          Call in?

          (Notice those two questions may be construed to be a poll!)