Atheists and Charity

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2012
      Recently Robert posted an article criticizing church's and their charity expenditures. I never did reply to that one though the LDS church was cited for giving away one billion dollars since 1985.

      The money cited was from a segregated donation fund for humanitarian relief are the world, where most of the funds are spent each year.

      Th question I have is this: are there any world famous atheist charities? And do atheists generally donate to charity? If 'concern' for others is simply a 'human thing' then shouldn't atheists donate as much money as every one else? Maybe they do and I simply don't know about it, so please inform me.
    • PIASAN@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2012
        From: Ray
        Th question I have is this: are there any world famous atheist charities?

        Pi:
        Not that I know of.  However, in fairness, there are few world famous atheist organizations.  Further atheists are not under the same mandate to give to others as Christians are.

        Ray:
         And do atheists generally donate to charity?

        Pi:
        It's pretty hard to tell, but the evidence is they do....
        Bill Gates is an atheist and his charitable donations are pretty well known....

        "studies show they typically score in Scrooge territory. In 2003, social scientist Arthur C. Brooks found religious persons 25 percent more likely to donate money than secularists, and 23 percent more likely to volunteer.
        Last year, sociologists and co-authors Robert Putnam and David Campbell found a six-in-10 chance that a person who never attends church will give money to a secular charity, while the figure for religious people is eight in 10."

        More, similar information is available at:

        So atheists do donate to charities, but not at the same level as Christians....

        Ray:
         If 'concern' for others is simply a 'human
        thing' then shouldn't atheists donate as much money as every one else?

        Pi:
        Not necessarily.  After all, the religious have various mandates to give.  This is especially true of Christians who have been instructed, by Christ, to leave behind their worldly goods and follow Him.

        Ray:
         Maybe they do and I simply don't know about it, so please inform me.

        Pi:
        Hopefully, the links provided will help ......

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2012
          Ray,

          Here's another link that discusses your "atheist charity" issue and provides numerous links and descriptions of atheist charities:

          http://www.squidoo.com/Atheist-Charities

          P.S. Did you notice that I put in a plug for you over
          at the MormonDialogue? :o)

          --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com,