Re: [M & B] Robert Richardson on Rigdon, Campbell & Mormonism!

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
      Ray,

      While I have reached different conclusions, I am glad I was able to bring something to your mind that you had not considered before.

      You are welcome.

      Maybe we'll get into some of the many details for discussion one of these days if there are particulars in which we share a mutual interest in discussing.

      Too bad Rigdon didn't take Campbell up on the invitation for a public discussion on the merits of Mormonism.

      By the way, are you familiar with the Farnsworth(Mormon)/Gatewood(ChurchofChrist) debate I mentioned earlier? From back in the 1940's.

      Ray Ausban <rayausban@...> wrote:

      > In the early 1980's I attended a discussion
      > series on the origin of the Church of Christ
      > hosted by the local Church of Christ.
      >
      > It was five nights and two hours each.
      >
      > I was already LDS at the time, but I walked
      > away with a good deal of respect for Alexander
      > Campbell in his part in establishing this
      > variation of Christianity.
      >
      > Now, that I have read some of his own words
      > and not simply hearing a devotee's description,
      > I see what a demented and twisted mind he really
      > had!
      >
      > It is no wonder that every Church of Christ
      > member I have talked with does not bring up
      > their illustrious founder and knows very
      > little about him!
      >
      > I see why Rigdon abandoned the Campbellites!

    • Ray Ausban
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
        Robert,

        1) Thank you for bringing it up.

        2) No, never heard of this debate. Is it on-line?

        3) Does the notice from Yahoo mean your group is going to be deleted this week?

        4) You recommended I review some of Todd's old posts. Is there an easy way to search this within those thousands of message postings?

        Thanks - Ray

        While I have reached different conclusions, I am glad I was able to bring something to your mind that you had not considered before.

        You are welcome.

        Maybe we'll get into some of the many details for discussion one of these days if there are particulars in which we share a mutual interest in discussing.

        Too bad Rigdon didn't take Campbell up on the invitation for a public discussion on the merits of Mormonism.

        By the way, are you familiar with the Farnsworth(Mormon)/Gatewood(ChurchofChrist) debate I mentioned earlier? From back in the 1940's.

        --- In mailto:Maury_and_Baty%40yahoogroups.com,

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
          Ray,

          You are welcome.

          I don't know that it's on-line, but it appears to be available on Amazon.

          The YAHOO! notice has to do with a feature of these lists which, as far as I know, no one here uses.

          The discussion feature should survive without being affected.

          I am not that good at searching the archives myself, Ray.

          You should experiment with key words and see what comes up.

          Maybe Todd can help you with specifics, or me, if there is something in particular you want to refer to in one or more of his prior posts.