Anti-atheist bigot engages in self-projection

  • Todd Greene
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2012
      This shows a recent exchange of mine in regard to this post:

      The atheist syndrome
      (Blog: Triablogue, 5/28/2012)
      http://triablogue.blogspot.com/2012/05/atheist-syndrome.html

      - Todd Greene

      [My initial response, to the blog post]

      Shermer is certainly not the first person to consider the so-called Problem of Evil and realize that the features of the real world - in this case, events that are horrendous to humans - show it to be inconsistent with the traditional Christian theological conception of God. This isn't, of course, about atheism, per se, but about Christian theology in particular. Apparently this issue is, however, the "trigger" impetus for a lot of Christians to reconsider and then reject their Christian religious beliefs. I would suspect that a lot (if not most) of these people don't become atheists but just change their beliefs about what God really is, perhaps taking some form of deism. But my point is that the "Problem of Evil" is not *just* an emotional issue.

      I became an atheist for a, perhaps related, but somewhat different reason, and I've met a lot of other former Christians who are now atheists who became atheists for similar reasons, not having anything to do with experiencing personal tragedies in some way that cause them to consider the Problem of Evil. First was when I realized that the Bible was parochially primitive in regard to the nature of reality, in dealing with and studying about creationism related issues, and also parochially primitive in its theology such as we see in particular in the book of Joshua - by which it dawned on me that there just wan't any good evidence that this book ever came from any god. It was only after those realizations that my thinking developed further over a couple of years or so, while continuing to ponder more general beliefs about God, to the more general position (more general than about just the Bible) of saying that I don't have any reason to think there's any god simply because I'm not aware of any good evidence of one.

      Anyway, if it helps you feel better to think that "People become atheists as children. Not because they have looked at the evidence, but because they expect God to make them feel good, and he doesn't perform.", perhaps because you feel it lets you off the hook for producing that good evidence for God atheists keep asking for, then go right and do that. Atheists know better.

      [steve]

      Your comment is a string of cliché-ridden objections to the Christian faith. It's a mark of your intellectual insincerity that you act as if there are only questions without answers.

      You're a typecast apostate. Some who lost his nominal faith because he had a Sunday School understanding of Christian theology. That's such a stereotypical narrative.

      [My response to steve's remarks]

      Hi steve, I always laugh when a person spews out a stereotype based purely on cliches, without a fact in sight, base on sheer ignorance, without even a smidgeon of intellectual sincerity, accuses me of being just like him. "Nominal faith." "Sunday School understanding of Christian theology." Thank you for showing just how much an awful lot of Christians love to just fabricate anything they feel like saying, based on nothing at all, rather than deal with anything of substance.