Ken Ham v. Jon Weatherly on that boat Ken wants to build!

    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2012
      (I agree that it is beginning to look like Ken Ham's Ark will never be built and, if built, will never be what he has promoted it to be.-RLBaty)

      http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs/ken-ham/2012/05/03/cincinnati-christian-university-vp-and-professor-takes-a-swipe-at-aig/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+KenHam+%28Around+the+World+with+Ken+Ham%29

      Cincinnati Christian University VP and Professor Takes a Swipe at AiG

      May 3, 2012

      (excerpts)

      (L)et me give you a recent example from our "backyard" of Cincinnati.

      Dr. Jon Weatherly, professor of New Testament studies and vice president for academic affairs at Cincinnati Christian University...earned his Bachelor and Master of Arts degrees at Cincinnati Christian University, his Master of Divinity at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, and his PhD at the University of Aberdeen (Scotland).

      See http://www.ccuniversity.edu/call/faculty/ .

      In a recent blog post, Dr. Weatherly takes a swipe at AiG.

      Dr. Weatherly writes regularly for his blog "Seldom Wrong, Never in Doubt."

      Recently, Dr. Weatherly wrote a post about our Ark Encounter, in which he was very critical of the project.

      See:

      http://seldomwrong.blogspot.com/2012/04/ark-encounters-apathy.html

      In the past, he's referred to the Ark Encounter as a "global publicity stunt" that "sounds lame."

      See:

      http://seldomwrong.blogspot.com/2010/12/ken-hams-ark-adventure.html

      In a more recent post on the Ark Encounter project, Dr. Weatherly expresses his doubt about the project ever being completed.

      While he acknowledges that the economy is not doing well and that the Ark Encounter is a source of controversy in secular society, Dr. Weatherly also writes,

      > "But we wonder whether the hot air is starting
      > to leak out of the Ken Ham's militant-young-earth
      > balloon. Ham's hostility could be making him
      > enemies as fast as it used to make him friends."

      Now, doesn't that comment seem a little hostile itself?

      I just never cease to be amazed by the lack of scholarship by these professors who use their platforms to attack the biblical positions we hold at AiG.

      For instance, Dr. Weatherly does not explain that the Ark project is a for-profit enterprise, owned not by us but the Ark Encounter LLC of Springfield, Missouri.

      He probably does not cover that detail because as far as we know he never asked us and never searched out the matter; he just seems to have written on the basis of hearsay instead of doing scholarly research.

      AiG is raising most of its financial commitment to the project through donations (and we are building one attraction, the Ark, of nine total Bible-themed attractions).

      By far the bulk of the revenue for the entire Ark Encounter will come from private funding sources, and we/they are well underway with this aspect of the funding.

      There are also Ark memberships that are a part of the revenue raising. While we are the designers and operators of the Ark, we are one member of the LLC.

      Also, the comment "Ken Ham's militant-young-earth balloon," I believe, reveals the real agenda behind his attack.

      The bottom line is that he does not hold to the position on a literal Genesis as we do and seems to be mocking those who hold to a young earth and universe.

      The Ark Encounter is intended to be an evangelistic ministry, one that will spread the gospel to people across the United States and the world.

      Why would a professor at a Christian university choose to criticize such an outreach—one that will powerfully reach out to an increasingly secularized world!

      Now, I don't think he is concerned that the Ark Encounter will be a second-rate effort and thus be an artistic embarrassment for the Christian faith (he has seen the high-tech exhibits and quality of the Creation Museum for himself).

      A friend of AiG read these comments by the CCU VP and professor and shared the following with us:

      > I often wonder about these e-guys. They're so
      > eager to mock and scorn on the web. Even when
      > I was an old earth, theistic evolutionist, I
      > cannot imagine that I would have been happy
      > that the Ark's construction could be delayed.
      >
      > What he supposes is that we are actually putting
      > a stumbling block to the Gospel in front of folks
      > by saying that the Bible means what it says
      > [about the Ark and Flood] instead of saying
      > natural science must be the ultimate authority in
      > interpreting Scripture — except maybe where it
      > would also forbid miracles, the resurrection of
      > Christ, etc. Such double mindedness (I can testify
      > from experience) is either a prideful commitment
      > to a position based on the esteem it has gained
      > you, or simply the consequence of a faith that
      > has not been fully examined. In my experience,
      > many, many Christians, including ministers, never
      > fully flesh out their beliefs and instead hold
      > beliefs in unexamined contradiction. It is a
      > failure of the Church to systematically teach
      > doctrine and apologetics that has led us to this
      > place.

      I pray that Christians will not be led astray by the misinformation seen in this latest Ark attack.

      Lastly, here is a troubling item that appeared on Dr. Weatherly's blog post in December 2010 (and to our knowledge has never been retracted).

      A person described as "Tom in KY" had commented on a posting by Dr. Weatherly's entitled "Ken Ham's Ark Adventure," writing,

      > "… isn't Ham the guy that says if you don't
      > believe in a literal 6-day creation, that he
      > trotted out the `you are not a Christian/going
      > to hell' narrative?"

      How did Dr. Weatherly reply?

      He wrote the following:

      > Correct, Tom. Ham is the founder/president of
      > Answers in Genesis, which uses various means,
      > notably its celebrated Creation Museum in Hebron,
      > KY, to promote the notion that either God created
      > the world in six 24-hour days about 6000 years
      > ago or the entire Christian faith is false. And
      > while he may not formally affirm that people like
      > SWNID are hell-bound for their dissent–even
      > allowing his assistants to invite the likes of
      > SWNID to address the organization's employees
      > devotionally–he comes mighty close to doing so
      > when he devotes at least as much of his organization's
      > resources to arguing with other Christians as to
      > promoting a theology of creation to the outside
      > world.

      As you can see, Dr. Weatherly also added the false charge that we believe "the entire Christian faith is false" if you reject a young earth.

      Of course, we write time and time again—and declare in our public talks—that salvation is dependent on faith in Christ alone, not on the date of the earth.

      We often add that many wonderful pastors and theologians who reject a literal Genesis are godly people who love the Lord.

      Thanks for stopping by,
      Ken Ham

      -----------------------------------
      -----------------------------------
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2012
        SWNID = Seldom Wrong! Never in Doubt!

        http://seldomwrong.blogspot.com/2012/04/ark-encounters-apathy.html

        Ark Encounters Apathy

        Saturday, April 28, 2012

        For a second time in history, Noah's ark is not making a big public impression.

        Object of SWNIDish scorn Answers in Genesis is notoriously engaged in a family theme park built around a replica of Noah's ark.

        The project needs about $25 million in donations to get going. Groundbreaking was slated for spring 2011, then spring 2012.

        It is now mid-spring 2012, and per the Ark Encounter web site, a little more than $5 million has been raised. "That ain't hay," as the SWNIDish sire used to say, but it's roughly a fifth of the goal, a year after the initial deadline.

        We expect that various explanations will address this puzzling condition:

        > (a) the economy is bad;
        > (b) investors are afraid to take a chance;
        > (c) the media has savaged the project.

        We allow all of those, noting only that media savaging could be a positive for some endeavors, given the public's disdain for media opinions, that is, at least the part of the public that digs AIG.

        But we wonder whether the hot air is starting to leak out of the Ken Ham's militant-young-earth balloon.

        Ham's hostility could be making him enemies as fast as it used to make him friends.

        Or maybe we're just jealous. Ham has raised mass bootle for AIG in the past, both more and faster than has any organization with which SWNID has been personally associated.

        But we will assert nevertheless that when fundraising is based on a personality, the money can disappear as quickly as it once appeared.

        Posted by Jon A. Alfred E. Michael J. Wile E. SWNID

        http://www.blogger.com/profile/04595651777890086293

        Jon A. Alfred E. Michael J. Wile E. SWNID

        About me

        > Gender - Male
        > Industry - Education
        > Occupation - Professor/Dean
        > Location - Cincinnati, Ohio, United States

        (I guess that's supposed to be the same as Jon A. Weatherly that Ken Ham speaks of?-RLBaty)

        --------------------------------------
        --------------------------------------
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2012
          (This is the earlier of the two blog posts that Ken Ham references from Jon.-RLBaty)

          http://seldomwrong.blogspot.com/2010/12/ken-hams-ark-adventure.html

          Ken Ham's Ark Adventure

          Saturday, December 4, 2010

          A group called "Ark Encounter" is now officially in partnership with Answers in Genesis and the Commonwealth of Kentucky to construct a Noah's-Ark-based theme park somewhere in Northern Kentucky.

          We'll venture the guess that somewhere on the Internet, someone is commenting on the good taste involved in a project like this.

          We lack the interest to research fully the relationship between Ark Encounter LLC and AIG and Mr. Ham personally.

          We note that on the Ark Encounter web site one first encounters a scale to indicate the capital needed to launch the project as compared to the money raised. As we blog, the money raised amounts to 1/2 of 1% of the need.

          We note also the answer to the FAQ, "Why are you building an ark?" which we quote in its glorious entirety:

          > Through the construction of a massive full-scale
          > Noah's Ark, the Ark Encounter will present America
          > and other nations with a reminder about the Bible's
          > account of the Ark.
          >
          > Many of the same talented team members that built
          > the successful, high-tech Creation Museum are
          > returning for the Ark Encounter. This new project
          > is positioned to become an attraction that will
          > capture the world's attention.

          So, as described by its initiators, this is a global publicity stunt.

          Noted.

          The SWNIDish curiosity now wonders what the future will hold.

          Will the project succeed?
          Will it never go forward?

          Or will it be initiated and prove to be a drag on the ongoing existence of AIG, perhaps even the cause of its demise?

          Theme parks nationally are not doing so well. This one sounds lame to us, though we are admittedly no fan of Mr. Ham and his not-for-profit exploits and no longer of an age so much to enjoy such experiences even when they aren't lame.

          But the cycle of organizational development that reaches a point of over-expansion and threatens ultimate collapse is very well known.

          Despite its claim to Christian orthodoxy, we judge the operations of Answers in Genesis to be built on sand, especially in terms of biblical interpretation but also in terms of mission and business model.

          So when the rains come, we wonder whether the Ark will sink AIG.

          Posted by Jon A. Alfred E. Michael J. Wile E. SWNID