50 Intelligent Design peer-reviewed, scientific publications!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2012

      Peer-Reviewed & Peer-Edited Scientific Publications Supporting the Theory of Intelligent Design (Annotated)

      By: Staff
      Discovery Institute
      February 1, 2012

      Editor's Note: While intelligent design (ID) research is a new scientific field, recent years have been a period of encouraging growth, producing a strong record of peer-reviewed scientific publications.

      In 2011, the ID movement counted its 50th peer-reviewed scientific paper and new publications continue to appear.

      The current boom goes back to 2004, when Discovery Institute senior fellow Stephen Meyer published a groundbreaking paper advocating ID in the journal Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington.

      There are multiple hubs of ID-related research.

      We provide below an annotated bibliography of technical publications of various kinds that support, develop or apply the theory of intelligent design.

      Scientific Publications Supportive of Intelligent Design Published in Peer-Reviewed Scientific Journals, Conference Proceedings, or Academic Anthologies

      > Joseph A. Kuhn, "Dissecting Darwinism," Baylor University
      > Medical Center Proceedings, Vol. 25(1): 41-47 (2012).
      > This article by Dr. Joseph Kuhn of the Department of Surgery
      > at Baylor University Medical Center appeared in the
      > peer-reviewed journal Baylor University Medical Center
      > Proceedings. It poses a number of challenges to both chemical
      > and biological evolution, including:
      > 1. Limitations of the chemical origin of life
      > data to explain the origin of DNA
      > 2. Limitations of mutation and natural selection
      > theories to address the irreducible complexity of
      > the cell
      > 3. Limitations of transitional species data to
      > account for the multitude of changes involved in
      > the transition.
      > Regarding the chemical origin of life, Kuhn points to the
      > Miller-Urey experiments and correctly observes that "the
      > experimental conditions of a low-oxygen, nitrogen-rich
      > reducing environment have been refuted." Citing Stephen
      > Meyer's Signature in the Cell, he contends that "the
      > fundamental and insurmountable problem with Darwinian
      > evolution lies in the remarkable complexity and inherent
      > information contained within DNA." Kuhn also explains that
      > "Darwinian evolution and natural selection could not have
      > been causes of the origin of life, because they require
      > replication to operate, and there was no replication prior
      > to the origin of life," but no other known cause can organize
      > the information in life.
      > Dr. Kuhn then turns to explaining the concept of irreducible
      > complexity, citing Michael Behe's book Darwin's Black Box and
      > noting that "irreducible complexity suggests that all elements
      > of a system must be present simultaneously rather than evolve
      > through a stepwise, sequential improvement, as theorized by
      > Darwinian evolution." Further, "The fact that these irreducibly
      > complex systems are specifically coded through DNA adds another
      > layer of complexity called 'specified complexity.'" As a medical
      > doctor, Kuhn proposes that irreducibly complex systems within
      > the human body include "vision, balance, the respiratory system,
      > the circulatory system, the immune system, the gastrointestinal
      > system, the skin, the endocrine system, and taste." He concludes
      > that "the human body represents an irreducibly complex system on
      > a cellular and an organ/system basis."
      > Kuhn also explores the question of human/ape common ancestry,
      > citing Jonathan Wells's book The Myth of Junk DNA and arguing:
      > DNA homology between ape and man has been reported to be 96%
      > when considering only the current protein-mapping sequences,
      > which represent only 2% of the total genome. However, the
      > actual similarity of the DNA is approximately 70% to 75% when
      > considering the full genome, including the previously presumed
      > "junk DNA," which has now been demonstrated to code for
      > supporting elements in transcription or expression. The 25%
      > difference represents almost 35 million single nucleotide
> [...]

      (Go to link for other 49 references.-RLBaty)