Rob Curry in the news recently!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2012
      Yesterday, I posted the exchange between Rob Curry and me regarding his misrepresentation of one of his causes.

      Here's a recent article on another matter that mentions Rob Curry and his Atheists of Florida organization:

      Atheist Group Scrubs Fla. Highway With 'Unholy Water'
      Group Challenges Prayer Campaign That Involved Blessing Highway With Holy Oil

      By Katherine Weber
      Christian Post Reporter
      March 19, 2012

      In what members deem an act of jest, the atheist group Humanists of Florida took to scrubbing a section of U.S. Route 98 in Florida Saturday to protest the "Polk Under Prayer" campaign.

      The "Polk Under Prayer" campaign was initiated in 2011 and involved the Christian churches of Polk County, Fla., anointing part of the U.S. Route 98 highway, between Polk and Pasco counties, with olive oil.

      > "Mainly we want this to be a safe haven
      > for folks who want to raise their families,"

      "Polk Under Prayer" organizer, Dr. Richard Geringswald told ABC News affiliate WFTS-TV in Tampa.

      > "Asking God's protection from ne'er do
      > wells and evil doers."

      Atheists of Florida member Rob Curry told WFTS-TV that the anointing sends

      > "a very chilling message that, if you're
      > not a Christian, if you don't believe as
      > we do, then you're not welcome."

      The Huffington Post reports that Atheists of Florida then discovered on local pastor Frank Smith's blog that the intention of the anointing was to

      > "ask God to have angels inspect every
      > vehicle that travels into and out of
      > this county if they will not submit to
      > God's way of living, then the prayer
      > is to have them incarcerated or removed
      > from the county."

      To counteract this initial anointing, the Humanists of Florida showed up to the strip of highway on Saturday morning with a large vat, labeled "unholy water," and several mops.

      The atheists then used Twitter to invite others to join them as they scrubbed off the "oils of intolerance."