Bert's rules!

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2003
      I ran across these comments from Bert's book recounting his attack
      against Abilene Christian University (EMPHASIS ADDED):

      > Some among us seem to think they can
      > spout their error . . . publicly, but then
      > retreat behind some kind of "private,
      > only between you and me barricade
      > when challenged. One is hard pressed
      > to find a concept more at odds with
      > biblical teaching. PUBLIC ERROR
      > DEMANDS PUBLIC CORRECTION!

      > ...you may just wish to let ACU
      > administrators know how you feel...
      > May I capitalize on his suggestion
      > and urge you to do just that!...The
      > accountability of ACU to the
      > brotherhood that supports it seems
      > to be a thing of the past...I disagree...
      > I hope you will...take the time to write
      > ACU administrators and DEMAND an
      > explanation of these matters. And I
      > hope you will BE SATISFIED WITH
      > NOTHING LESS THAN A FULL
      > AND COMPLETE EXPLANATION
      > OF HOW IT IS THAT...

      > ...DEMAND THAT ACCOUNTABILITY...

      > THERE WILL BE AN ACCOUNTING!
      > LET US MAKE IT NOW...

      > from the author's preface

      > ...his refusal of our letter by no means
      > absolved him of the responsibility of
      > its contents.

      > > page 34

      > Dr. Reeves letter did not provide any
      > answers to any of the questions. . .
      > they were, after all, Ph.D.'s...In short,
      > we made it clear...that we FULLY
      > INTENDED TO HAVE ANSWERS TO
      > THE QUESTIONS WE HAD RAISED.

      > > page 37

      > ...putting him on notice that unless...
      > he corresponded with us within two
      > weeks...we would begin making public
      > our inquiry into this matter.

      > > page 38

      > ...we will have no choice but to publish
      > for widespread distribution the results
      > of our attempts...

      > > page 39

      > ...our letters offered an opportunity to
      > these two professors...to explain
      > themselves in full.

      > > page 39

      > ...we...made every possible attempt to
      > allow the matter to be corrected.

      > > page 39

      > ...one haunting question keeps nagging
      > at me: if they refuse to answer my letters,
      > will not answer my questions..., and are
      > afraid to meet me in a face-to-face
      > confrontation, is it possible - just possible -
      > that THEY HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE?!
      > I HONESTLY THINK THE QUESTION
      > ANSWERS ITSELF.

      > > page 73

      > DR. THOMPSON REMINDED THOSE
      > PRESENT THAT HE WAS NOT THE ONE
      > "ON TRIAL" IN THE FIRST PLACE, BUT
      > THAT ACU WAS.

      > > page 76

      > Anyone with half a brain, one eye, and
      > the ability to see through a ladder could
      > detect that ruse!

      > > page 93

      > The writing of this book has been a most
      > depressing chore...WE DID NOT CHOOSE
      > THE TASK. IT FELL IN OUR LAP...
      > WHETHER THIS WAS THE PROVIDENCE
      > OF GOD, WE CANNOT FOR CERTAIN
      > SAY...

> [...]

      It had been a long time since I reviewed that little book. I had
      forgotten just how high my score is in playing the "preachers' game" in
      such matters.

      It also reinforces my notion that the good brethren just aren't up to
      trying to make application of the principles of Matthew 7:1,2 and James
      3:1 when it comes to one Bert Thompson, Ph.D.

      Go figure!