Forbes Contributor on Conflict Resolution!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2012
      Carl Kaun, Francis Mortyn, are you listening!

      http://www.forbes.com/sites/shenegotiates/2012/03/03/women-to-gop-you-are-not-the-boss-of-us/

      (excerpts)

      You Are Not the Boss of Us

      By Victoria Pynchon
      March 3, 2012

      There are two primary ways to resolve disputes –

      > by way of a negotiated agreement and
      >
      > by force –
      >
      >> legislative,
      >> judicial,
      >> threats,
      >> "enhanced interrogation," or
      >> other forms of physical or emotional violence.

      Obviously, we here at She Negotiates are friends of
      negotiated agreements.

      When people reach a mutually beneficial agreement,
      they tend to abide by it.

      Negotiators call that "durable."

      When people are forced to do something against their
      will, they tend to resist, subvert, challenge and,
      sometimes, resort to physical violence.

      The Bill of You Are Not the Boss of Us

      If there is a singular American value, it would have
      to be that no one is the boss of us.

      What I'm going to do is kick off She Negotiates'
      celebration of Women's History Month by expressing
      gratitude to the people of America for their continued
      devotion to a single principle – that America and
      Americans work best when they do so free of unnecessary
      constraints on their ability to broker mutually beneficial
      agreements to govern their personal and commercial lives.

      Throughout the month of March, we'll be celebrating
      those people who stood up and said, as Amy Poehler
      did on Saturday Night Live last week – don't tell me
      what to do!