The American Heritage Dictionary

  • Todd Greene
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3 3:21 PM
      I can't remember for sure when I first encountered the American Heritage Dictionary (AHD). I think it was in college, probably when I was at Oakland University, but I just don't remember for sure. What I do remember is that when I first encountered it, it immediately came across to me as a superior dictionary, and I quickly become a fan of that particular dictionary, always seeking to use it in preference to all others.

      At some point I purchased a copy of the AHD, and had it in my book collection for the longest time. But with divorce and moving around so much since then I've lost an awful lot of books, and that's one of them.

      I was pleased when dictionary.com came online many years ago on the internet, precisely because, among other dictionary listings, it used the AHD. So, of course, that was my go-to place for looking up word definitions over the book I owned because it was just faster and thus more convenient to use (if I was online). But then a few years ago I noticed that the AHD listings disappeared from dictionary.com.

      So sad.

      Just today I learned that the AHD listings are available here:

      http://ahdictionary.com

      To be honest, usage-wise it's inferior to dictionary.com (especially because of dictionary.com's click-of-a-button jump from definition to thesaurus). But now I can readily access the AHD definitions again, which is a good thing.

      theory
      http://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=theory

      | 1. A set of statements or principles devised to explain a
      | group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been
      | repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to
      | make predictions about natural phenomena.

      | 6. An assumption based on limited information or knowledge;
      | a conjecture.

      Creationists completely ignore definition 1, and pretend that the scientific theory of evolution is "just a theory" using definition 6.

      Because, as usual, they consider "Lying for Jesus" to be a virtue instead of a vice.

      - Todd Greene