Eric Holder pledges to defend Obama's contraception rule!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2012
      http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/02/28/hhs-ruling-holder-vows-court-battle-over-contraception-mandate/

      Holder vows court battle over contraception mandate

      By James Rosen
      February 28, 2012

      (excerpts)

      WASHINGTON – In sworn testimony Tuesday, Attorney General Eric Holder defended the Obama administration's controversial contraception mandate, and vowed that the federal government's legion of lawyers will follow suit.

      > "To the extent that that action is challenged
      > in court, I would expect that the Justice
      > Department would defend what I guess is in
      > place -- would be that compromise,"

      Holder told lawmakers on a House Appropriations subcommittee.

      Under these rules, all employers must provide female contraception as part of their health care plans, with the cost of the contraception coverage to be incurred by the insurer if a given employer -- such as a Catholic-affiliated charity, hospital, or school -- objects on religious grounds.

      In testimony before the House Ways and Means Committee, HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius appeared at one point to suggest that some further accommodation might be in store for those religious organizations that provide their own insurance.

      > "We will have a provision dealing with
      > self-insured plans, who work through
      > third-party administrators, to make sure
      > that anyone with a religious exemption
      > will not provide or pay for or refer
      > people to contraception services, and
      > maintain their religious freedom,"

      she testified.

      But that statement did not apply to the

      > Catholic-affiliated hospitals,
      > charities and
      > schools

      that have raised the greatest hue and cry over the HHS mandate -- precisely because they do not presently qualify for the "religious exemption" that Sebelius mentioned.

      Religious leaders opposed to the HHS mandate have said the financial penalties would likely prove ruinous to their institutions.

      Also weighing in on the controversy Tuesday was Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. In testimony before a Senate Appropriations subcommittee, the nation's top diplomat encouraged Catholics opposed to birth control on doctrinal grounds to embrace it for practical reasons.

      > "I know that it is a very controversial issue,"

      Clinton told lawmakers,

      > "but numerous studies have shown that the
      > incidence of abortion decreases when women
      > have access to contraception."

      Catholics are also deeply opposed to abortion.