The Christian Post on Future of American Christianity!

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2011
      (I guess they thought such prophetic utterances were appropriate for today's date.-RLBaty)

      http://www.christianpost.com/news/top-5-faith-culture-stories-what-is-the-future-of-american-christianity-66056/

      The Christian Post
      Friday, December 30, 2011

      Top 5 Faith & Culture Stories: What Is the Future of American Christianity?

      By Jim Denison
      Christian Post Columnist

      The Crystal Cathedral was once the best-known church in America. The Rev. Robert H. Schuller's "Hour of Power" was watched by millions on television each Sunday.

      The church's glass structure in southern California is an architectural marvel.

      When I visited several years ago, I was awed by its beauty and sophistication.

      Two years ago, the church declared bankruptcy.

      Last November, a bankruptcy judge ruled that the campus will be sold to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange County for $57.5 million. The congregation will be permitted to worship in their sanctuary for three years before they must find a new home.

      In our survey of my top 5 faith and culture stories of 2011, today let's discuss the future of the American church.

      No congregation more epitomized the market-driven tech-savvy megachurch explosion in our country than the Crystal Cathedral.

      The contrast between its cutting-edge, seeker-sensitive strategies and the ancient rituals of traditional Catholicism is remarkable.

      Last week, the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life released a fascinating report on the size and distribution of the world's Christian population.

      In 1910, 66.3% of the world's Christians lived in Europe; by 2010 that number had shrunk to 25.9%.

      Christianity in the Americas grew from 27.1% to 36.8%.

      The real story lies outside the traditional home of Christianity.

      The Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia-Pacific regions have grown from 5.9% of the world's Christians in 1910 to 36.7% today.

      Five of the ten largest churches on earth are in South Korea.

      There is a true Great Awakening sweeping the non-Western world.

      According to David Barrett's World Christian Encyclopedia, 76,000 people come to Christ every day, the largest number in history.

      However, only 6,000 are in Western Europe and North America, combined.

      While world Christianity is exploding, the number of atheists and agnostics in America has quadrupled in the last 20 years.

      I recently heard an address given by a minister who focuses on university campuses; he estimates that 1% of American college students attend worship on Sunday mornings.

      The number of Muslims in Western Europe is growing so quickly that some scholars have predicted the region will one day be characterized as "Eurabia."

      Is the American church facing inevitable decline?

      Not at all.

      There have been four spiritual awakenings in our history--in 1734, 1792, 1858, and 1904-5.

      Each was sparked by the Holy Spirit working through Christians who prayed fervently for God to move in power on their churches and nation.

      Does God want to bring a fifth Great Awakening to our country in 2012?

      I pray every day for him to do so.
      Will you join me?

      Adapted from Dr. Jim Denison's daily cultural commentary at http://www.denisonforum.org .

      Jim Denison, Ph.D., is a cultural apologist, building a bridge between faith and culture by engaging contemporary issues with biblical truth.

      He founded the Denison Forum on Truth and Culture in February 2009 and is the author of seven books, including "Radical Islam: What You Need to Know."

      For more information on the Denison Forum, visit http://www.denisonforum.org . To connect with Dr. Denison in social media, visit http://www.twitter.com/jimdenison or http://www.facebook.com/denisonforum .

      Original source: http://www.denisonforum.org .

    • Todd Greene
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2012
        "Each was sparked by the Holy Spirit working through Christians who prayed fervently for God to move in power on their churches and nation."

        An awful lot of religious believers love to pretend that their ideas have been "sparked by [God]". Note that the rhetoric creationists use a lot, in which they pretend that their ideas are God's ideas, is exactly the same kind of cognitive fabrication. God, of course, if such a thing exists (of the sort imagined by most religious believers) is perfectly able to speak perfectly for himself, which completely belies the pretensions to "divine sparking" used by such people to try to justify their parochial and otherwise silly foibles.

        "It's God's plan."

        Note, by the way, that this is also in direct contradiction to that other very popular piece of religious rhetoric: "We can't understand why this happened. God's plan is a mystery to the mind of man." It's another distinct example of the incoherence of religious rhetoric.

        "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." What do you know, the apostle Paul actually got something right.

        - Todd Greene

        --- In Maury_and_Baty, Robert Baty posted the following: