Re: Abiogenesis (Is God alive or dead?)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2003
      David Willis, you wrote:

      > Robert is God dead?

      > Did life come from life (God) or
      > non-life?

      > If you say you believe that life came
      > from God then you do NOT believe
      > in "abiogenesis."

      > No wonder you think Todd could do
      > a better job than you for the "heavy
      > lifting" of answering that question
      > correctly. Given your ability, I might
      > agree!

      I am glad to see we are starting to form a consensus on why it is I try
      to stay with the simple stuff.

      I thought maybe that when folks talked about the "law of biogenesis"
      they were talking about some big scientific idea that physical life
      comes from physical life.

      If David WIllis has some competent reference sources that propose the
      "law of biogenesis" means something to the effect that all life began
      from God, I would like to see it/them.

      I suspect that "abiogenesis" and "biogenesis" are more properly terms
      limited to the physical sciences and to make some big theological claim
      using the terms may not be the thing to do.

      But if it is insisted, it still seems to make sense to me that the
      atheist and theist scientists would see the same physical
      manifestations. The atheist would see only the physical manifestations.
      The theist would see the same thing, but would inject his theological
      views into what he was seeing. From the scientific perspecive, it seems
      to me, they would both be seeing "abiogenesis", though the theist,
      according to David Willis, would theologically claim it is just another
      case of "biogenesis".

      Now, is everybody convinced yet why I try to stay with the simple stuff?

      Anybody want to go back to talking about Bert's Maury statue claim.
      Well, maybe Hilbert is going to help us out with that.