Donald Trump loses libel suit over being called "millionaire"!

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2011
      http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/donald-trump-loses-libel-lawsuit-232923

      Donald Trump Loses Libel Lawsuit Over Being Called A 'Millionaire'
      September

      by Eriq Gardner
      September 8, 2011

      A New Jersey appeals court has affirmed a lower court's ruling to dismiss a defamation lawsuit brought by Donald Trump against a book author who claimed the real estate magnate/reality TV star isn't really a billionaire.

      In a ruling issued on Wednesday, the appeals court affirms that Trump hasn't demonstrated that author Timothy O'Brien committed

      > "actual malice"

      by citing three unnamed sources who estimated the net worth of The Apprentice star to be between $150 million and $250 million.

      Trump filed the $5 billion lawsuit in 2009 over O'Brien's book, TrumpNation: The Art of Being The Donald.

      The lawsuit was rejected in 2009 by a New Jersey superior judge. Trump then appealed the judgment on the theory that relying on anonymous sources could rise to the actual malice standard needed for public figures to prevail in a libel suit.

      But a New Jersey appeals court doesn't see the logic here.

      According to the decision:

      > "There were no significant internal inconsistencies
      > in the information provided by the confidential sources,
      > nor was there 'reliable' information that contradicted
      > their reports, so as to provide evidence of actual
      > malice. Nothing suggests that O'Brien was subjectively
      > aware of the falsity of his source's figures or that he
      > had actual doubts as to the information's accuracy."

      The latest decision will likely give Trump another reason to gripe about the nation's libel laws.

      In past public comments, Trump has said these laws

      > "have never been fair."

      As for Trump's own estimation of his net worth, Trump's lawyer says it has been "proven conclusively" to exceed $7 billion.

      Then again, during a deposition, Trump admitted that his sense of financial worth depends on his feelings day-to-day. Asked whether it was really true that his

      > "net worth goes up and down based
      > upon [his] own feelings,"

      here's Trump's funny response: