Ric Flair and his defamation case over that alcohol reference!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2011
      http://bostonpersonalinjurynews.com/2011/08/ric-flair-lawsuit-threatening-suit-over-grantland-piece.html

      Ric Flair Lawsuit? Threatening Suit Over Grantland Piece
      By Andrew Lu
      August 31, 2011

      (excerpts)

      Boston Sports Guy Bill Simmons only had his website Grantland up for a couple months and now wrestling legend Ric Flair is already threatening a defamation lawsuit.

      ...what makes the potential Ric Flair lawsuit so interesting (and amusing) is that Flair is threatening suit over things Flair said himself -- in his autobiography.

      Last week, Grantland put up a piece chronicling the downfall of Flair. The piece was not that flattering to the "Nature Boy" as it listed his many run-ins with the law, as well as an apparent medical condition, alcoholic cardiomyopathy, which was brought on by alcohol abuse.

      Flair was outraged with Grantland's claims that he suffered from the alcohol-related medical condition and he has threatened to sue claiming that the report is untrue, reports Sportsgrid.com.

      In a defamation suit, the plaintiff usually tries to prove that someone made a false and defamatory statement hurting the plaintiff.

      However, if the statement is true, the plaintiff has no case.

      Unfortunately for Flair, the source for the alcoholic cardiomyopathy in the Grantland piece was from Flair himself, reports Sportsgrid.

      In Flair's autobiography, he wrote,

      > "Through my many years of partying,
      > I also developed something called
      > `alcoholic cardiomyopathy,' a weakening
      > of heart muscles."

      So if truth is a defense, Flair may be out of luck in a defamation suit.

      The threatened Ric Flair lawsuit is just the latest embarrassment to a wrestling legend that many fans like Bill Simmons grew up with.