Is it possible to escape from a black hole?

  • Todd Greene
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 11, 2011
      Escaping Gravity's Clutches: Information Could Escape from Black Holes After All, Study Suggests
      (ScienceDaily, 8/10/2011)
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110810215342.htm

      New research by scientists at the University of York gives a fresh perspective on the physics of black holes. Black holes are objects in space that are so massive and compact they were described by Einstein as "bending" space. Conventional thinking asserts that black holes swallow everything that gets too close and that nothing can escape, but the study by Prof. Samuel Braunstein and Dr. Manas Patra suggests that information could escape from black holes after all.

      The implications could be revolutionary, suggesting that gravity may not be a fundamental force of nature.

      Prof. Braunstein says: "Our results didn't need the details of a black hole's curved space geometry. That lends support to recent proposals that space, time and even gravity itself may be emergent properties within a deeper theory. Our work subtly changes those proposals, by identifying quantum information theory as the likely candidate for the source of an emergent theory of gravity."
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 11, 2011
        --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Greene" <greeneto@...> quoted from an article:

        > Samuel Braunstein and Dr. Manas Patra suggest
        > that information could escape from black holes
        > after all.

        That is not particularly meaningful to this tyro (e.g., what information is or could escape from a black hole).

        The linked article also has this comment:

        > The research, which appears in the latest
        > issue of Physical Review Letters, uses the
        > basic tenets of quantum mechanics to give
        > a new description of information leaking
        > from a black hole.

        That adds to the ambiguity, for this tyro, as to what they are talking about.

        Perhaps, in time, that will be better explained??

      • Todd Greene
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 11, 2011
          I'll be on the lookout for a discussion of this in layman's terms. (I just did a Google search for such, but apparently the report is just too new for there to be much response yet.)

          What I find particularly interesting about it is the detailed consideration of the theoretical hypothesis that gravity is not actually a fundamental force but is the manifestation of more fundamental processes.

          - Todd Greene

        • PIASAN@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 11, 2011
            From: Todd Greene
            What I find particularly interesting about it is the detailed consideration of
            the theoretical hypothesis that gravity is not actually a fundamental force but
            is the manifestation of more fundamental processes.

            Pi:
            Couldn't this lead to a rethinking of the strong, weak, and electromagnetic forces as being fundamental?

          • Todd Greene
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 11, 2011
              I can't answer that question. But check this out, I'm pretty sure it's related:

              Holographic Principle
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle

              --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, PIASAN@... wrote:

              > From: Todd Greene
              > What I find particularly interesting about it is the detailed consideration of
              > the theoretical hypothesis that gravity is not actually a fundamental force but
              > is the manifestation of more fundamental processes.
              >
              > Pi:
              > Couldn't this lead to a rethinking of the strong, weak, and electromagnetic forces as being fundamental?
            • yanniru
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 12, 2011
                My string cosmology concludes that gravity is fundamental to the megaverse in which our universe resides as a brane and that the gravitons in the megaverse result in spacetime curvature in the universe.

                Ref: http://knol.google.com/k/implications-of-a-conjectured-multiverse-string-theory-in-26-dimensions#