Re: [M & B] AP This Week: The Age of the Earth & Syncretism!

  • Charles Weston
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2011
      So sad!
      Charles Weston

      --- On Fri, 8/5/11, Robert <rlbaty@...> wrote:

      From: Robert <rlbaty@...>
      Subject: [M & B] AP This Week: The Age of the Earth & Syncretism!
      To: Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, August 5, 2011, 9:38 PM

      (It reminds me of the importance of and the historical place of the "Goliath of GRAS" in the popular public debate over young-earth creation-science and why it is its promoters have failed in their scientific pretensions and legal challenges.-RLBaty)

      -----------------Forwarded Article-------------------------

      http://www.apologeticspress.org/apPubPage.aspx?pub=1&issue=997&article=1669

      Syncretism and the Age of the Earth

      by Kyle Butt, M.A.

      (excerpts)

      CONCLUSION

      The age of the Earth is not a peripheral issue that is irrelevant to one's understanding of the Bible.

      As has rightly been concluded, even by those who adopt an old-Earth approach:

      > "The debate over the age of the earth

      > IS NOT just an academic exercise in dating

      > but a very lively debate over the very core

      > themes of the Bible, which relate to our

      > view of all life" (Snoke, p. 194).

      The age of the Earth, then, often becomes a test as to how a person will approach the entirety of the biblical text.

      Those who choose to look to culture and modern "science" for the answers find themselves reinterpreting the biblical text to fit the modern notions of the evolutionary, uniformitarian scientific community.

      Once they veer from an accurate understanding of Genesis one and two, they are forced to do the same with the global Flood, and numerous other ideas found in the Bible.

      A proper understanding of modern science, however, shows that there is no conflict with what we know to be fact and a straightforward reading of Genesis one and two as a historical narrative that

      > describes the Creation of the entire Universe

      >> in six literal,

      >> 24-hour days

      >> only a few thousand years ago.

      In fact, a host of credentialed scientists have shown that the actual facts we possess about the physical Universe point to a young Earth and militate against an old-Earth interpretation.

      There is no conflict between fact-based science and the concept of a young Earth.

      Those who have chosen to adopt old-Earth views have done so in a spirit of syncretism, and have diluted the truth and power of the biblical text.

      It is our hope that they will see the error into which they have been led and into which they have led others, and turn from such compromising practices.