Re: Campbell County (VA) Board of Supervisors Race!

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2011
      And here's an article on Killingsworth's political aspirations:

      Killingworth wants Sunburst District post

      By Tina Barbour
      Altavista Journal Staff Writer
      Wednesday, June 22, 2011

      (excerpts)

      Tipton "Tip" Killingsworth has announced he will run for the Sunburst District seat on the Campbell County Board of Supervisors. He will run as a Republican.

      He will face independent candidate Steve Shockley, who currently represents the Sunburst District and is chairman of the board.

      Killingsworth, 63, said he felt the need to give back to his community and wanted to focus on the importance of "creativity, courage and community" as a supervisor.

      He believes having the courage to make tough choices and having the creativity to find ways other than raising taxes to meet a budget can lead to a better sense of community.

      "We need to take care of each other," he said.

      He believes changes need to be made to the current Board of Supervisors.

      "Anyone who votes for tax increases needs to go," he said. He would only vote for a tax increase as the "absolutely last choice."

      Killingsworth said making cuts was not the first choice. One thing he would do is look for waste in government.

      He said he didn't know all of the things that need to be done by the Board of Supervisors, but believes he knows how to work at the problems.

      Killingsworth has been in ministry and missions for 40 years. He worked for Campus Crusade for Christ for a number of years and was on the staff at Thomas Road Baptist Church for five years. He served in the benevolence department.

      It was there he learned more about how to truly help people, he said. Helping people help themselves was important.

      "It's easy to give money to people. Giving people money is not always the right thing to do," he said.

      That doesn't mean that he was against the Department of Social Services, he said. He was supportive of those trying to help others in need.

      Killingsworth said government was not the solution to the issues the county and country faced. It was the problem.

      "They make messes, and then they charge us to clean it up," he said.

      He said he would like to start a mentoring program in the county, where those in a position to help others would join with people who were facing hard times.

      He used as an example a case he had when he worked at Thomas Road. A woman came in asking for help to pay her gas bill. Her husband had left her, and she had three children.

      Killingsworth said he suggested to her that she use her homemaking skills and ask her neighbors if she could perform chores for them, the kinds of things they didn't like to do. That way, she could earn the money she needed.

      The woman left and never came back to ask for the money for her gas bill. He doesn't know what she did to get the money, but he believes she found a better way to get it.

      Killingsworth wants to get citizens more involved in helping each other.

      "I have great faith in the creativity and the intelligence of the people in the county," he said.

      He said he is "overwhelmingly optimistic" and citizens would find him approachable.

      "I want to hear from them. I don't care if they call at 11 at night," he said.

      Killingsworth moved to Campbell County in 2002. He grew up in Arizona and lived in different places as part of his ministry. He and his family lived in Orlando, Fla., before moving to the county.

      He owns Mannie's Auto Center.

      He is also an adjunct instructor at Liberty University.

      He is married to Laurie Killingsworth and has five children, all grown, and six grandchildren.

      --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rlbaty@...> wrote:

      Here's a couple of links to more information on Killingsworth:

      http://carsforchrist.org/about-us/4-tip-killingsworth.html

      http://www.masterlife.org/content/view/15/28/

      --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rlbaty@...> wrote:

      From another list:

      > I know of a
      >
      >> "reverend-type,"
      >> RRR creationist,
      >> IDiot,
      >> anti-separation,
      >> anti-science,
      >> anti-evolution,
      >> anti-civil-rights-for-all candidate
      >
      > running for board of supervisors in Campbell
      > County (Virginia) and I would like to spread
      > the word. A google search on his name will
      > turn up radical stuff he has written in yahoogroups.

      The followup was: