Re: [M & B] Re: Terry W. Benton's "final word of encouragement"??

  • PIASAN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 15, 2011
      From: Robert

      Pi (previously):
      > Might I suggest if this information is so
      > "public," it would be accessible by the
      > public? The fact it isn't posted on the
      > Pine Lane website indicates this is being
      > treated as a private matter (as many
      > employment decisions are).

      Robert:
      It may be accessible by the public.

      Pi:
      It may. I can only go by the evidence available. There is no evidence the information is accessible to the public. If it were being handled as a public matter, there are certain places I would think are most likely to provide public access. Included in those are the Pine Lane website; the CoCBanned list; and/or any list or blog in which Terry may participate, etc.

      #######
      Robert:
      It may be posted on the Pine Lane website.

      Pi:
      It may. There is no evidence it is.

      #######
      Robert:
      It may not be being treated as a private matter.

      Pi:
      It may not. However, there is no evidence it is being handled as a public matter. This is a personnel issue. From my experience as a manager, public discussions of personnel actions are not likely to be initiated by the employer for legal (liability) reasons.

      #####
      Robert:
      Maybe Pi's suggestions are an example of that "argument from incredulity" some
      have talked about recently.

      IF I haven't accessed the information, THEN it can't be publicly accessible.

      IF I haven't found it on the Pine Lane web site, THEN it isn't there.

      IF I don't know, THEN it's being treated as a private matter.

      Pi:
      Oh bull shirt, Robert.

      Maybe my suggestions are based on years of experience as a manager during which I've made a number of personnel decisions from hiring to termination. I've had subordinates say all kinds of things about how or why I was making a decision while I was not at liberty to discuss the matter. The only defense I was able to offer amounted to: "When that person came to the department you didn't want to train her and told me she would lie about what you had told her in training. I expect you to give me the same 'benefit of the doubt' I gave you."

      ######
      Robert:
      But I do get Pi's point. I just don't happen to share the opinion that it's a
      secret; we just haven't had anyone post the information here yet.

      Pi:
      I don't have the opinion it's a secret. My opinion is it is a personal matter that Terry doesn't want to discuss for whatever reasons. That is his option and I have no reason to do anything but respect his (apparent) wishes.

      If Terry doesn't want his departure discussed, it would be a serious breach of privacy for the Pine Lane authorities to do so.

      ######
      Robert:
      As I have proposed repeatedly:

      > maybe we'll find out,
      > maybe we won't.

      Pi:
      Well, I guess that covers all the bases.

      Here's my take on the matter based on what we know:
      Terry made some kind of statement in late February that may have hinted at his departure. It was some time after that he actually left. Based on my experience, if his departure were for a negative reason it would (most likely) have come with little or no warning. Terry's statement indicates he may have been planning his departure.

      My (tentative) conclusion is that Terry left willingly for his own reason(s). Also, for his own reasons he chooses not to discuss that departure in a public forum. There is no evidence of any negative issue involved.

      ######
      Robert:
      I am quite unaware of most "public" information!

      Pi:
      So am I. So what?