The "new atheists" and a commentary regarding debating!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2011
      The subject came up in the recent JREF discussions, and so I copy the following here to reflect on what others are saying about such things.

      http://www.inspiremagazine.org.uk/news.aspx?action=view&id=5433

      Comment: new atheists 'running scared' of debate

      COMMENT

      New atheists Richard Dawkins and William Grayling are 'running scared' of debate, says DR. PETER MAY, organiser of the 2011 Reasonable Faith tour ...

      For years, `New Atheist' Professors Anthony Grayling and Richard Dawkins have made money and gained publicity out of God. But now, the courage of their convictions seems to be running dry: they have both refused to debate one of the world's leading defenders of the Christian faith, Professor William Lane Craig.

      While Professor Dawkins has set himself up as the `scourge' of the Church, Professor Grayling has offered his latest attack on Christianity by publishing The Good Book – a secular bible in the year the Church celebrates the 400th anniversary of the translation of the King James Bible.

      While Dawkins and Grayling have refused to debate the existence of God, Grayling has also refused to debate the foundations of the morality on which his `Good Book' rests. These point-blank refusals to engage in public discussions with Professor Craig will undermine their credibility, not only among Christians but also amongst fellow academics.

      Professor Craig, Research Professor of Philosophy at Talbot School of Theology, California, is arguably the world's foremost defender of historic Christianity. He has debated with many top academics and leading atheists across the world, including Peter Atkins, Daniel Dennett, Anthony Flew, Christopher Hitchens, Lewis Wolpert and most recently, Sam Harris.

      Craig visited the UK in 2007 and received national media coverage for his debate at Westminster Central Hall with Professor Lewis Wolpert, chaired by BBC Radio 4 Today presenter, John Humphrys. This debate has now been seen by thousands of people on YouTube. Prof. Craig has two Ph.Ds, has written more than 30 books and published some 200 academic papers. He is returning to the UK from 17-26 October in a tour sponsored by the Universities and Colleges Christian Fellowship, Damaris Trust and Premier Christian Radio.

      Having been invited to debate Craig, Prof. Grayling replied:

      Justin Brierley, of sponsor's Premier Radio, said:

      > "It looks insulting and worryingly narrow
      > minded when an invitation to defend such
      > views against a top-flight Christian academic
      > such as Dr. Craig is dismissed in these terms.
      > Grayling is seen as a key proponent of
      > rationalism and atheism in the UK. It will
      > therefore come as a surprise to many that he
      > is so unwilling to defend the rational grounds
      > for atheism against a major opponent."

      Richard Dawkins, however, has now refused four separate invitations to debate Craig this October. They came from The British Humanist Association, The Cambridge Debating Union, the Oxford Christian Union and Premier Radio.

      The patently inadequate reasons he has put forward for ducking the challenge include:

      In respect of A.C. Grayling's flippant refusal to debate Professor Craig, Dr. Came has said:

      > "Professor Grayling's attitude towards the
      > status of the question of the existence of
      > God – essentially that there is nothing to
      > talk about – is hard to justify philosophically.
      > Even though it might not be clear what the
      > solution is, it is plainly a genuine
      > philosophical problem, and there are few, if
      > any, that are more profound or of greater
      > interest to the general public."

      For his part, Prof. Craig is leaving the door open for either of them to have the courage of their convictions, and join him in debate at the Sheldonian Theatre in Oxford at 7.30pm on 25 October.

      For further details about William Lane Craig, his debates, his writings and his UK tour, visit