Another "preacher", Troy Beam, tried for criminal tax evasion!

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2011
      ----------------Forwarded Article---------------------

      Beam: 'I had zero income'

      By MARIJON SHEARER
      News-Chronicle Correspondent

      Published: Tuesday, May 3, 2011

      Troy Beam presented his side of the story Monday in the U.S. Middle District Courtroom of Judge Christopher Conner in Harrisburg.

      The Shippensburg-area contractor used almost the whole court day to tell the eight-woman, four-man jury why he shouldn't be convicted of tax evasion, obstructing the Internal Revenue Service and failure to file income taxes, a total of eight felony counts that carry a potential penalty of 12 years in prison, about $900,000 in fines and more than $1 million in allegedly unpaid taxes.

      > "I had zero income"

      since 1996, said Beam, 47, of the 400 block of Shippensburg Road, Hopewell Township.

      He testified that he and his wife, Debbie, and their nine children live on gifts and donations they receive as they travel in a converted Greyhound bus, performing gospel music and sharing the story of one son's miraculous recovery from a farm accident.

      Meanwhile, he said, earnings from rental properties he once owned, and income from dozens of new homes built in Cumberland and Franklin counties since 1992 by his company, Sunbeam Builders, have been tucked into trusts and offshore accounts that he does not control.

      His children are beneficiaries of the trusts, Beam said, but trustees are in charge of the assets.

      The government claims that the network of overlapping trusts in which Beam placed real estate and money, and that function as property managers and banks are fake.

      Beam testified he purchased his trusts from Andrew Earp, an associate of Save A Patriot Fellowship of Westminster, Md., an organization that questions the authority of the IRS; and from Commonwealth Trust Co., whose salesman, Wayne Rebuck, testified earlier in the trial that his products were shams intended only to help people defraud the IRS.

      In the past three court days, Beam and his attorney, Lowell Becraft of Huntsville, Ala., have tried to show that the trusts are genuine and controlled by trustees who take active management roles and are looking out for the Beam children.

      The defense concluded Beam's testimony late Monday and prosecuting attorney Mark McDonald began challenging Beam's story, questioning the defendant about two wire transfers totaling $600,000 from a bank account in Panama in 2007.

      The account, in the name of Bancroft Management SA, was transferred to Beam's father, Melvin Beam, after Beam was indicted by a federal grand jury in February 2010. Before the transfer, Troy and Debbie Beam were the only signators on the account, with Beam named as president of Bancroft and Debbie as secretary.

      > "You studied the Internal Revenue Code, right?
      > … you know it says `gross income' means all
      > income, from whatever source?"

      McDonald asked Beam, who was a state auditor until 1991.

      > "I'd like the basis underlying
      > that before I answer,"

      Beam replied.

      Cross-examination of the defendant continues today (Tuesday). The case is expected to conclude early this week.