Ketch22, "come out", "come out"!

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 6, 2010
      Ketch22,

      In response to your request, I am posting this further guidepost for you in hopes you can find your way out of the house (Christian Post) and come around for the discussion you suggest you have an interest in pursuing.

      See:

      http://www.christianpost.com/article/20101127/religion-debate-pits-blair-against-hitchens/

      > From: Ketch22
      > To: Christian Post
      > Date: Monday, December 6, 2010
      > Time: 2:15 PM MT or thereabouts
      >
      > Subject: Religion debate...
      >
      > Once again I was there and couldn't
      > find you.
      >
      > Please post my email response as thus:
      >
      >> "The premise of Goliath of GRAS
      >> is false, therefore we cannot go
      >> any further."
      >
      > Please respond so we can get this
      > discussion started.

      Ketch22 does not actually indicate where he was and what premise he claims is false and why. So, we do have some work to do in order to make the connections and help him deal with his fundamental problems.

      Question #1:

      > Is the argument such that
      > if its premises are true then
      > its conclusion will follow as
      > true from the truth of its
      > premises.

      Question #2:

      > Is the major premise true?

      "Goliath of GRAS" Argument - My Position

      Major premise:

      > If (A) God's word (the text) says
      > everything began over a period
      > of six days, and
      >
      > if (B) God's word is interpreted by
      > some to mean it was six 24-hour
      > days occurring a few thousand
      > years ago, and
      >
      > if (C) there is empirical
      > evidence that some thing is
      > actually much older than a
      > few thousand years,
      >
      > then (D) the interpretation of
      > the text by some is wrong.

      Minor premise:

      > (A) God's word (the text) says
      > everything began over a period
      > of six days, and
      >
      > (B) God's word is interpreted by
      > some to mean it was six 24-hour
      > days occurring a few thousand
      > years ago, and
      >
      > (C) there is empirical
      > evidence that some thing is
      > actually much older than a few
      > thousand years.

      Conclusion:

      > (D) The interpretation of the
      > text by some is wrong.

      I look forward to Ketch22 making his way over here for some discussion.

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 6, 2010
        Here's the link and message I posted to the Christian Post in response to the message from Ketch22:

        -------------------------------------

        http://www.christianpost.com/article/20101127/religion-debate-pits-blair-against-hitchens/

        From: RLBaty
        To: Christian Post
        Date: Monday, December 6, 2010
        Time: 2:40 PM MT or thereabouts

        Subject: Religion debate...

        > From: Ketch22
        > To: Christian Post
        > Date: Monday, December 6, 2010
        > Time: 2:15 PM MT or thereabouts
        >
        > Subject: Religion debate...
        >
        > Once again I was there and couldn't
        > find you.
        >
        > Please post my email response as thus:
        >
        >> "The premise of Goliath of GRAS
        >> is false, therefore we cannot go
        >> any further."
        >
        > Please respond so we can get this
        > discussion started.

        Ketch22,

        You didn't actually say where it was you were, but it apparently was not at the Maury_and_Baty discussion list. You also give no reasoning to support a finding that "the premise" is false.

        In response to your request, I have posted a note there to help you find your way and engage in whatever interests you may have in these important public issues. Here's the link:

        If you are signed in to YAHOO! you can use the "post" and/or "reply" features to participate there. You don't have to be a member of the list to post.

        Otherwise, you can simply send an e-mail to the following address:

        > Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com

        As noted elsewhere, neither of my machines allows me to currently post replies to messages here. So, I am submitting this as an original message.

        Others are welcome to join Ketch22 over there...or not!

        Let me know if you still can't find your way out of the Christian Post "house" and over to my place for a chat about the "Goliath of GRAS", the claims I have made for it, and its historic place in the popular public debate over the merits of young-earth creation-science.

        ---------------------------------
        ---------------------------------

        --- In Maury_and_Baty@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Baty" <rlbaty60@...> wrote:

        Ketch22,

        In response to your request, I am posting this further guidepost for you in hopes you can find your way out of the house (Christian Post) and come around for the discussion you suggest you have an interest in pursuing.

        See:

        http://www.christianpost.com/article/20101127/religion-debate-pits-blair-against-hitchens/

        > From: Ketch22
        > To: Christian Post
        > Date: Monday, December 6, 2010
        > Time: 2:15 PM MT or thereabouts
        >
        > Subject: Religion debate...
        >
        > Once again I was there and couldn't
        > find you.
        >
        > Please post my email response as thus:
        >
        >> "The premise of Goliath of GRAS
        >> is false, therefore we cannot go
        >> any further."
        >
        > Please respond so we can get this
        > discussion started.

        Ketch22 does not actually indicate where he was and what premise he claims is false and why. So, we do have some work to do in order to make the connections and help him deal with his fundamental problems.

        Question #1:

        > Is the argument such that
        > if its premises are true then
        > its conclusion will follow as
        > true from the truth of its
        > premises.

        Question #2:

        > Is the major premise true?

        "Goliath of GRAS" Argument - My Position

        Major premise:

        > If (A) God's word (the text) says
        > everything began over a period
        > of six days, and
        >
        > if (B) God's word is interpreted by
        > some to mean it was six 24-hour
        > days occurring a few thousand
        > years ago, and
        >
        > if (C) there is empirical
        > evidence that some thing is
        > actually much older than a
        > few thousand years,
        >
        > then (D) the interpretation of
        > the text by some is wrong.

        Minor premise:

        > (A) God's word (the text) says
        > everything began over a period
        > of six days, and
        >
        > (B) God's word is interpreted by
        > some to mean it was six 24-hour
        > days occurring a few thousand
        > years ago, and
        >
        > (C) there is empirical
        > evidence that some thing is
        > actually much older than a few
        > thousand years.

        Conclusion:

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 6, 2010
          It could be that Ketch22 is not up to a discussion of his problems with the "Goliath of GRAS".

          He's been posting notes in response to my comments on the following two pages of the Christian Post:

          http://www.christianpost.com/article/20101127/religion-debate-pits-blair-against-hitchens/

          http://www.christianpost.com/article/20101202/full-scale-replica-of-noah-s-ark-coming-to-kytheme-park/

          I guess we'll just have to wait and see if Ketch22 has enough good faith to make his appearance here and deal openly and honestly with his problems with the "Goliath of GRAS".

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 6, 2010
            Here's one comment from Ketch22 which may be a clue to his unwillingness to actually "come out" for a chat:

            > RL, until you give any sort of reasoning
            > that is acceptable to me to support that
            > your premise is true, you have no premise
            > to even have an argument.

            It's not about being acceptable to Ketch22.

            It's about discussing the basis for any truth claim regarding the still unnamed premise that Ketch22 has so much trouble with, and dealing with his misguided rebuttal thereto.

            Ketch22 might find my reasoning acceptable, or he may not.

            Fundamentally, the discussion is designed so as to be able to identify and further substantiate the UNreasoning of Ketch22, as representative of the young-earth creation-science mindset.

            Will Ketch22 "come out"?

            We will see. We have much to talk about.

            Ketch22 has described himself as somewhat new to the faith. In that context, I will try to be more accommodating in helping him with his problems; if only he will do his part and allow me to assist him in understanding the "Goliath of GRAS", the claims I have made for it, and its historic place in the popular public debate over the merits of young-earth creation-science.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 6, 2010
              As a further encourgement to the Christian Post folk who may have an interest in such things, including Ketch22, I just posted the following to the Christian Post website:

              http://www.christianpost.com/article/20101127/religion-debate-pits-blair-against-hitchens/

              From: RLBaty
              To: Christian Post
              Date: Monday, December 6, 2010
              Time: 5:10 PM MT or thereabouts

              And the "Goliath of GRAS" stood and cried unto the
              armies of the Christian Post, and said unto them,

              > Why are ye come out to set your battle in array?
              > Am not I "Goliath of GRAS", and ye servants to
              > the Christian Post?
              >
              > Choose you a man for you, and let him come
              > down to me.

              And the "Goliath of GRAS" said,

              > I defy the armies of the Christian Post;
              > give me a man, that we might reason
              > together.

              When members of the Christian Post
              heard those words of the "Goliath of GRAS",
              they were dismayed, and greatly afraid.

              See you there...or not!