Re: The reality: Creationists don't want to deal with science

  • Todd Greene
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
      "If the figures given are accurate"

      Accurate?

      From a creationist?

      Ha ha!

      It never hurts to state it explicitly again: If it's a creationist pushing some line trying to prop up his creationist beliefs, you can probably take the "n" out of "line", because everything - everything - he says must be taken with at least three grains of salt. You always have to keep in mind that - when I say this I'm not really just cracking a joke at creationists' expense, this seriously is the way they think - one of the attitudes endemic to the creationist mindset is that lying for Jesus is a virtue. What is important to them is supporting and promoting their personal belief in their particular religious doctrine. Getting the facts straight, getting the logic right and eliminating fallacy, is not important in that approach.

      As I stated previously, there are several excellent responses to Haynes' essay on that page, and this is one of them.

      An "Ediacaran" there responded with the following:

      | Haynes buys into further creationist deception, such
      | as the spin by Dembski and Witt on the results of the
      | poll of U.S. physicians. Haynes wrote "... for example,
      | a list shows that 32 percent of Jewish physicians, 81
      | percent of Protestant physicians, 78 percent of
      | Catholic physicians, and 2 percent of atheist
      | physicians reject Darwinism - they acknowledge you
      | don't have to believe in the traditional God or six-day
      | creation to support ID."
      |
      | But if you look at the actual poll results, note that
      | Dembski and Witt pull a bait-and-switch: they
      | mischaracterize U.S. physicians of faith who accept
      | evolution as "rejecting Darwinism", when most actually
      | accept evolution. Reading the creationist claims after
      | having seen the actual poll results, the phrase "lying
      | with statistics" comes to mind.
      |
      | Per the poll results, of the Jewish physicians polled,
      | 3% agreed with 'God created humans exactly as they
      | appear now', 29% agreed with 'God initiated and guided
      | an evolutionary process that has led to current human
      | beings', and 65% agreed with 'Humans evolved naturally
      | with no supernatural involvement - no divinity played
      | any role', and 3% agreed with 'I don't like to think
      | about such matters'. The numbers for Protestant
      | physicians are 35%, 46%, 19%, 0%, respectively. For the
      | Catholic physicians polled the numbers were 11%, 67%,
      | 21%, 1%, respectively. The majority of U.S. physicians
      | accept evolution, whether or not they believe a god had
      | a hand in it. It seems that apologist Dembski counts
      | theistic evolutionists as his allies only when he wants
      | to inflate the flagging poll numbers for his brand of
      | creationism.

      Of course, perhaps you were just writing in instigation. ;-)

      - Todd Greene