Re: [coCBanned] Stupid people vs. stupid comments from non-stupid people

  • PIASAN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2010
      Pi:
      I guess with the YEC "black and white" mentality, I shouldn't be surprised you wouldn't see a difference between calling an argument "lamebrained" and calling the person "lamebrained."

      David replied:
      I don't agree with this "distinction without a difference." I can say "that's a stupid thing to say" or I can say "you are stupid for saying that."

      Reminds me of the ESPN commercial about 10 years ago. Some coach-type guy is in a room full of journalists and one gets up to say "I have a stupid question to ask..." and the coach interrupts to say, "Wait Jimmie, there ARE NO stupid questions. Just stupid PEOPLE who ask questions."

      Sorry...I think in the moment that a person makes a stupid comment, he is being stupid. Oh wait...is there a difference between saying "he is
      stupid" vs. "he is BEING stupid"??? HMMMM.

      I responded by paraphrasing David with:
      "They will also see how stupid you are to think ...."
      Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coCBanned/message/24556

      David seems to think his comment was OK, but mine wasn't. HMMMMM.......