Re: The pretended "absolute moral standard", which doesn't exist

  • Todd Greene
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2010
      Here's another example of the same tactic of misrepresentation that Terry Benton used:

      | if there is
      | no absolute moral truth, what some call moral law,
      | then everything is merely subjective opinion, and
      | we're told no one's opinion is better than anyone
      | else's.

      | Proponents of moral relativism, the opposite of moral
      | absolutism, in essence deny the moral difference
      | between war and peace, freedom and slavery, or
      | ignorance and strength.

      From:
      http://media.www.thetriangle.org/media/storage/paper689/news/2007/02/23/EdOp/The-Existence.Of.Absolute.Moral.Truths-2739862.shtml

      Well, no, and no.

      In the first case, the if does not imply the then.

      In the second case, a bald claim is merely asserted without any explanation for why that is supposed to be so.

      This is the manner in which proponents of "absolute moral standard" (AMS) love to try to support their idea, by straw-manning their critics. Of course, AMS proponents don't actually POSSESS an absolute moral standard which they can point to and say "That's what an absolute moral standard is", so in actuality they're talking out of their hats from the get go.

      And by "hats", I certainly don't mean hats.

      Chuckling,
      Todd Greene