A new start!

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
      One preacher recently prophesied that my effort to operate a list,
      dealing with public issues and the public men behind the issues that
      were of interest to me, would have little interest and would be
      short-lived.

      Well, there weren't many members in that first effort, but we had a good
      run for about two weeks and made some important progress in helping to
      clean up the historical record concerning Matthew Fontaine Maury and his
      influence among the churches of Christ.

      That list came to an abrupt end when Yahoo deleted the list on the basis
      of some alleged, anonymous complaint; no questions asked, no chance at a
      defense. They just pulled the plug on that list.

      Yahoo did let me start this new list. I figure it will move along
      rather slowly and I probably won't be advertising it as much. For now,
      I'll just wait to see what happens as we, again, begin to discuss those
      public issues and public men that have caught my attention on a few
      things.

      We'll probably have a few polls, as with the last list, and everyone is
      encouraged to vote in the polls.

      You won't have to join this list to post. However, you may want to join
      the list so you can vote in the polls and have messages delivered
      directly to your e-mail address.

    • mathewmaury
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
        --- In Maury_and_Baty@y..., rlbaty@w... wrote:
        > That list came to an abrupt end when Yahoo deleted the
        > list on the basis of some alleged, anonymous complaint; no
        > questions asked, no chance at a defense. They just pulled
        > the plug on that list.
        >
        > Yahoo did let me start this new list. I figure it will move
        > along rather slowly and I probably won't be advertising it
        > as much. For now, I'll just wait to see what happens as we,
        > again, begin to discuss those public issues and public men
        > that have caught my attention on a few things.

        Please elaborate.

        Was the complaint to Yahoo anonymous to Yahoo?
        Or were you just not told the name of the complainant?

        What was the substance of the complaint?

        What do you believe the cause of the complaint?

        Did Yahoo offer any guidelines for the new list to avoid
        plugpulling in the future?

        Have you learned anything from Yahoo's punition?
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
          --- In Maury_and_Baty@y..., "mathewmaury" <sqi7o0hh02@s...> wrote:

          "Please elaborate.

          Did Yahoo offer any guidelines for the new list to avoid
          plugpulling in the future?

          Have you learned anything from Yahoo's punition?"

          #######################################

          My comments:

          I got the message following my name below from Yahoo. Before I got
          to even do what they asked they deleted my list. Yahoo isn't
          talking, the culprit isn't talking (at least not in my hearing).

          A member of the former list offered an opinion. I'll post it for
          reference.

          I have learned that there really are some folks out to "get me". Too
          many suspects to be sure just who. Go figure. We'll see how the new
          list goes.

          #######################
          #######################

          Dear Yahoo! account holder:

          By creating and using your Yahoo! account, you agree to abide by
          Yahoo!'s Terms of Service (TOS). Pursuant to the TOS, Yahoo! reserves
          the right to terminate your account or otherwise prohibit use of your
          account in the event that, among other things, Yahoo! believes that
          you
          have violated or acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of the
          TOS.

          It has come to our attention that you may have violated the TOS.
          Please reread the TOS and cease any use of your account that may
          violate the TOS.

          If your use of your Yahoo! account is brought to our attention again,
          and we believe that such use violates the TOS, then we may terminate
          your account without further notice.

          Please do not reply to this email. Any questions concerning Yahoo!'s
          Services should be submitted through the on-line form in the help area
          ( http://help.yahoo.com ).

          -Yahoo!
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
            --- In Maury_and_Baty@y..., "mathewmaury" <sqi7o0hh02@s...> wrote, in
            part:

            "What do you believe the cause of the complaint?"

            #######################################
            #######################################

            My further comments:

            Here's the post that one of the former list's members wrote on his
            own list (you may want to view that list, there are some Maury
            matters there recently and in the archives):

            From: "Todd S. Greene" <tgreene@a...>
            Date: Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:35 pm
            Subject: Re: Hard Ball!!??

            Hi, Robert.

            It is my strong opinion that you've been slimed, by someone working
            behind the scenes and lying about you. (And by someone who calls
            himself a Christian, no doubt!) You should follow this up with Yahoo
            Groups administration, and strongly protest the fact that nothing
            about your list was against the TOS, and, further, that the account
            of the person who caused this action to take place should be
            terminated.

            Regards,
            Todd S. Greene

            My further comments:

            Todd might have that about right. We may never know; will probably
            never know. Then again, it could have been those folks with the Bush
            administration or the IRS, right? Maybe the ACU folks?

            No, Yahoo said nothing about my starting a new list. That's just the
            way the Yahoo system works, I think. You push some buttons and just
            start again. I've seen other folks comment that Yahoo is rather
            arbitrary and capricious in what they let go and when they will pull
            someone's plug without appropriate cause.

            I do have my "enemies", and I guess they got my number on this one.

          • mathewmaury
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
              --- In Maury_and_Baty@y..., "rlbaty50" <rlbaty@w...> wrote:
              > I do have my "enemies", and I guess they got my number on this one.

              Have you enumerated your enemies?

              Any of the following who were named and disparaged on the
              banned list might have felt aggrieved during your
              interdicted debut as list honcho:

              Bert Thompson
              Eugene Chaffin
              Eugene Chaffin's Wife
              Brad Harrub
              Brad Harrub's Wife and Children
              Gil Yoder
              Steve Rudd
              Gil Yoder's Dog

              Do you consider any of these your enemies?
              Why?
              Do you consider yourself to be their enemy?

              Have you more to add to this list?

              Does it bother you to have enemies or do you enjoy
              increasing their numbers?

              As you see, I am quite curious about this phenomenon. I
              do not remember having an enemy that I could not bypass or
              deflect. Your claim to have more than one enemy persecuting
              you is fascinating. Do you consider yourself unusual in this
              manifestation?
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
                The following comments were made:

                "As you see, I am quite curious about this phenomenon. I do not remember
                having an enemy that I could not bypass or deflect. Your claim to have
                more than one enemy persecuting you is fascinating. Do you consider
                yourself unusual in this manifestation?"

                ######################

                My comments:

                I am as well quite curious as to who it is that has been so engaging on
                this list and the previous list! It seems rather "phenomenonal" to me
                that I don't "really" know who it is.

                I don't consider myself unusual. As I have observed the allegations
                against the "young-earth, creation-science" movement (more particularly
                the men behind it), my experience is just a bit of empirical evidence
                that they really do to people what has been alleged.

                Did you not review what Bert has done to John Clayton? What about how
                Bert went after those ACU professors for allegedly teaching "old age"
                stuff? He wrote a book bragging about all of that!

                I am just one of the inconsequential "little people" that such folk find
                it much easier to run over.

                Did you not review the discussion about me and my little list on Gil
                Yoder's discussion site. Some of those guys were ready to
                "excommnicate" me, or see to it that Marion Fox got that job done.

                Don't take the label "enemy" too serious. I don't consider those folk
                my enemies. After all, I am right and I am trying to get them to accept
                what is right.

                However, they haven't been dealing with me in the same fashion.

                Maybe you should be asking them more directly how they consider me.
                After, of course, we get Bert to tell us where he got his Maury statue
                claim and admit that I did not write that letter he calls my "feeble
                effort".

                By the way, Gil Yoder and Keith Sisman both have made appearances on
                Todd's list. So, there may be some interesting things go on over there.
                Gil came "fishing" for me, and I took his "bait" a bit.

                Have you checked into that public list yet? Got opinion?