Excellent new essay by P. Z. Myers: "Sunday Sacrilege: So alone"

  • Todd Greene
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2010
      Sunday Sacrilege: So alone
      (Blog: Pharyngula, 6/27/2010)
      http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/06/sunday_sacrilege_so_alone.php

      Excerpt:

      I loved and respected my father, and any attempt by an outsider to defame or complicate or diminish that relationship would trigger a resentful response from me. Christians and Muslims and Jews have been told from their earliest years that God is their father, with all the attendant associations of that argument, and what are we atheists doing? Telling them that no, he is not, and not only that, you don't even have a heavenly father at all, the imaginary guy you are worshipping is actually a hateful monster and an example of a bad and tyrannical father, and you aren't even a very special child - you're a mediocre product of a wasteful and entirely impersonal process.

      It makes that whole business of breaking the news about Santa Claus look like small potatoes. Reality is harsh, man.