Baty v. Supreme Court (TN) Judge Alan Highers!

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2009
      Some may be aware of how curious it has been to observe Judge Alan Highers (also editor of "The Spiritual Sword" and a preacher of substantial reputation) refuse to opine regarding the relationship of Pepperdine University, et al, to the churches of Christ and that in the context of evaluating the IRC 107 Complaint filed in Federal District Court by the Freedom From Religion Foundation; and that despite my repeated entreaties for the Judge to enter the popular, public discussion regarding such important, public issues having national and historic import.

      While that be the case, the Judge and I had a recent exchange on the Stone-Campbell list, on a related matter, which should not go unnoticed and further preserved.

      Following is the sequence of postings (9 messages) in that exchange that occurred during a relatively short period of time on the evening of Friday, November 13, 2009:

      (1)

      From: Alan Highers
      To: Stone-Campbell@...
      Date: Friday, November 13, 2009 7:54 PM

      Subject: Re: Check out Herald of Truth | OUR HISTORY

      Harold

      Churches of Christ actually have inaugurated their own cable television channel known as GBN (Gospel Broadcasting Network) which seems to be off to a good start.

      Alan Highers

      (2)

      From: Robert Baty
      To: Stone-Campbell@...
      Date: Friday, November 13, 2009 8:03 PM

      Yeah, I think I remember when the GBN was getting started!

      They were getting started by trying to sell viaticals to the old folks.

      You know, where some investor bets the old folks will die sooner rather than later and the "church", according to Alan, would make money on the deal.

      That didn't go over too well.

      From: Alan Highers
      To: Stone-Campbell@...
      Date: Friday, November 13, 2009 8:11 PM

      I have no idea what Robert means. If he knows something about this that is "according to Alan," then he knows more about it than I do.

      People who claim to be misrepresented should not misrepresent others.

      My post was a specific response to the question asked by Harold about television efforts among churches of Christ.

      Alan Highers

      (4)

      From: Robert Baty
      To: Stone-Campbell@...
      Date: Friday, November 13, 2009

      Alan said the church owns GBN, so my comment stands, as the matter has been represented by Alan Highers.

      I don't know why Alan cannot or will not see the implications of his own statement regarding the character of GBN.

      If Alan is now proposing I have misrepresented him, it looks like he has a "Tom Olbricht problem" to deal with.

      From: Alan Highers
      To: Stone-Campbell@...
      Date: Friday, November 13, 2009 8:36 PM

      Subject: Making up quotes

      I still do not understand what Robert is talking about, but that makes at least two of us.

      Robert does not know what he is talking about either.

      Robert specifically said in his post that according to Alan, the church will make money when old folks die earlier than expected. Rather than correct his slime, he reiterates it.

      No mention, of course, where Alan ever said what Robert accuses him of saying.

      I can understand Tom Olbricht's problem with trying to correct anything Robert says, but I do not think the problem originated with Tom.

      It's the same problem anyone has who tries to reason with Robert.

      This will be my last post to anything Robert Baty says (even though I know he will answer and try to goad his way into an expanded discussion).

      I see no profit in continued discussion with one whose whole life is governed by

      > "Look at me!
      > Look at me!
      > Hey, folks, look at me!"

      Goodbye Robert.

      (6)

      From: Robert Baty
      To: Stone-Campbell@...
      Date: Friday, November 13, 2009 8:59 PM

      Subject: Re: Making up quotes

      Alan really went off the deep end on this one.

      Alan clearly indicated that the church owned and operated GBN and, consistent with such a characterization, I simply noted that, according to Alan, it would be the church that would profit from the sale of those viaticals, had it been a profitable gimmick.

      Tch! Tch! Tch!

      Shame on Alan for his unseemly course regarding such a simple matter.

      From: Robert Baty
      To: Stone-Campbell@...
      Date: Friday, November 13, 2009 9:29 PM

      I wasn't all that sure about this list having previously considered the history of GBN and its attempt to use viaticals to finance its programs.

      However, in doing a quick check, I came up with the following message from this list's archives:

      --------------------------

      From: Robert Baty
      To: Stone-Campbell@...
      Date: Friday, November 13, 2009 11:06 PM

      I'm now beginning to see a little of the back story regarding Judge Alan Highers unseemly response to my simple, factual observation.

      Perhaps you will see it as well in the following excerpt from the GBN website:

      > The Leadership Team

      > (excerpts)

      > Gary McDADE became the new
      > Executive Director of GBN in
      > January 2009.

      > Gary is ideally suited to this
      > position because of his background,
      > not only as a faithful gospel preacher
      > but also as a financial professional.

      > Gary served for several years as
      > the preacher for the Getwell church
      > of Christ in Memphis, TN, the staff
      > writer for The Spiritual Sword
      > quarterly journal, and director for
      > the annual Spiritual Sword Lectureship.

      > Gary also brings to GBN his broadcast
      > experience as a speaker on the weekly
      > Truth In Love radio broadcast from
      > Getwell...

      Get it?

      From: Robert Baty
      To: Stone-Campbell@...
      Date: Friday, November 13, 2009 11:21 PM

      And, for those who may have missed it when GBN was promoting the scheme, here's what my records show was the GBN promotion (its historical, you know, but possibly a hard piece of history to find these days):

      ------------------------

      What Is the Charitable Income
      & Endowment Plan © (CIEP)?

      The CIEP is a unique charitable giving program that utilizes a financed immediate annuity contract and a life insurance policy to create a donation to a qualified donor's favorite charity.

      This can be achieved without any cost or liability to the donor or the benefiting charity.

      The donor must be insurable and have an established history of contributing money and/or time to the donor's selected charities.

      The CIEP is for interested, insurable, individuals, seventy to ninety years of age, and is provided through an independent, fully licensed agent for the benefit of GBN.

      Please contact Gary McDade
      (901-233-5597) for more detailed information.