Re: Upcoming Gentry-Garrett Debate on Apostasy!

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
      The upcoming debate appears to have more significance that I first thought.

      Consider the following excerpt from a recent post to the Stone-Campbell list:

      From: Steve Wolfgang
      Date: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:02 pm

      Should anyone think the age of debating has passed, I note that I am scheduled to moderate a for a young “NI” preacher,
      John Gentry, in a debate next week on apostasy at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville (my MDiv alma mater, and that of Harold Hazelip and, I think, Bill Humble -- and before that, William Webb Freeman).

      Stephen Garrett (son of well-known Primitive Baptist debater Eddie K. Garrett, who has debated a number of “Campbellite” preachers through the years) will argue that

      > “The Scriptures teach that the
      > child of God, one saved by the
      > blood of Jesus, can not so sin
      > so as to be [eternally] lost in hell.”

      Remove the “not” and you have John’s affirmative.

      The debate may have an historical RM connection in that several prominent SBTS professors, notably Dale Moody who taught there when I was a student, would affirm John’s proposition rather than Stephen’s (in fact that was exactly the issue that got Moody booted from SBTS).

      Moody often said it was AT Robertson who "led him out of eternal security"

      To a lesser extent Moody’s view was acknowledged if not embraced by Prof. William W. Adams, who wrote the commendatory introduction to Robert Shank’s Life in the Son (and Elect in the Son), written while Shank was still preaching for Baptist Churches before his heterodox views drove him to seek fellowship among Churches of Christ, ultimately joining Marvin Bryant in the efforts to reach out to ministers in various denominations.

      Perhaps indicative that Churches of Christ are not alone in seeking theological identity, and that there is considerable disarray and possible re-shuffling in religious bodies not that dissimilar to S-C/RM churches, the debate will be conducted in the 1400-seat Alumni Chapel on the SBTS campus, 2825 Lexington Road, Louisville, 7PM Thursday and Friday, November 5 & 6. FYI.