Re: Fwd: The Bible

  • Jerry McDonald
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2009
      * The canon
      There has been, is and always will be disagreement on which books should be in the Bible. The Catholic Bible has more books than the Protestant Bible. Who is correct? If you ask a Catholic…... if you ask a Protestant…Well, you guessed it.

      Scholars know that some books have been lost. We do not have a perfect and complete set of all the books.

      * The original manuscripts
      None of the original manuscripts remain. All we have are copies and they do not agree perfectly.

      * What is the Bible
      It is a collection of writings telling you about He who Is--the great I Am and our Creator. It tells you how to be saved and receive His Promise...the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

      He will lead you and guide you each day. How about those who have no Bible or cannot read? He Who is Perfect will lead them and guide them through all darkness regardless of all things.

      Conclusion
      Don't worship the Bible but the One Who the Bible tells us to worship.
      Receive ye His Promise and let Him lead you.

      Let those who seek perfection in a book seek. They will be in an endless struggle of arguments and debates. Leave them and grow each day. When you wish to learn--cry out to Him and seek--He promised that ye shall find.

      Let those who seek a perfect hammer seek. Let Him lead you into building the house while they never put in the first nail. The foundation of your house is already there--He is Jesus Christ the Son of God.

      --- End forwarded message ---

      McDonald

      "* What is the Bible
      It is a collection of writings telling you about He who Is--the great I Am and our Creator. It tells you how to be saved and receive His Promise...the Baptism of the Holy Spirit."

      Uh...I think Paul differs on this:  He says "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works" (2 Tim. 3:16,17).  I don't see anything there about a collection of writings telling you about who He is about how to be saved and receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.  The Bible is the living Word of God.  It comforts us (1 Thess. 4:17,18), it reconciles us (2 Cor. 5:19), it strengthens us (Col. 1:11), it is a light in darkness (Psa. 119:105), it is a mirror (Jas. 1:21-25), it will be our judge on the day of judgement (Jno. 12:48).  Friends, this is the meat of the issue.  The reason my opponent and others like him hold to the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is because they have given up on the all-sufficiency and authority as well as the inspiration and inerrancy of the Bible.  Yet they
      don't want to give up on God, so they hold to some of it.  James said "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all" (Jas 2:10).  Now understanding the context, there is a principle here. The point is, you cannot pick and choose with God's word.  Either all of it is inspired or none of it is.

      This idea that the apocrypha, the psudopigrapha and the gnostic writings were ever inspired is completely absurd.  That idea was struck down ages ago and this person needs to do a little study on the issue and find that out.  Yes there are atheists who argue this point, but they argue it to show that none of the Bible is inspired.  Is this what this person wants to argue?

      Textual criticism is the best science we have in determining what the originals had to say.  When we take all of the evidence into consideration we can decide what was said.  If we can't then we can't trust it on matters of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit or anything else.

      In Christ Jesus
      Jerry McDonald